Morning glory

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 16, 2008, 3:10:10 AM9/16/08
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
This flower has been flowering in my garden for some time now. It opens up in the morning, and closes by aboout 10-11 am. Is it natural or is so because of hot sun post-rain?
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Bhind Road

Nudrat

Sep 16, 2008, 6:05:36 AM9/16/08
to indiantreepix
Hello

The closing of the flower is a natural phenomenon that is due to
physiological reasons

On Sep 16, 12:10 pm, "Anand Kumar Bhatt" <anandkbh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  Morning glory-1.jpg
> 104KViewDownload
>
>  Morning glory-2.jpg
> 101KViewDownload

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 16, 2008, 7:37:29 AM9/16/08
to J.M. Garg, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
I have tried to resize the pictures. Hope this time I have got it right. Thanks to yu and my daughter's promptings, I will get the hang of it.
Best wishes,
akbhatt
P.S.Satyendra: the botanical name of the flower is ipomoea purpurea.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Anand ji,
I think you are reducing the quality & not the size- due to which it's very difficult to view the attachment on opening (as it much bigger in size than 800 pixels by 600 pixels required for viewing on a normal monitor). Try to re-size to say 800 by 600 pixels, reduce the quality to the extent that it's within permissible 150 KB.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 16, 2008, 7:38:22 AM9/16/08
to Nudrat, indiantreepix
Thank you Nudrat.
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2008, 11:31:33 AM9/16/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Nudrat, indiantreepix
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_purpurea

Ipomoea purpurea, the Purple, Tall, or Common Morning Glory, is a species in the genus Ipomoea, native to Mexico and Central America. Like all morning glories the plant entwines itself around structures with its viny stems, growing to a height of 2-3 m tall. The leaves are heart-shaped and the stems are covered with brown hairs. The flowers are trumpet-shaped, predominantly blue to purple or white, 3-6 cm diameter. [1]

The habitats of morning glories are landscapes, fences and crops. The plant is predisposed to moist and rich soil, but can be found growing in a wide array of soil types.[2] It is naturalized throughout warm temperate and subtropical regions of the world. Although it is often considered a noxious weed, Ipomoea purpurea is also grown for its beautiful purple and white flowers and has many cultivars. Common cultivars include I. purpurea 'Crimson Rambler' (red-violet blossoms with white throats); 'Grandpa Ott's,' 'Kniola's Black Knight,' and 'Star of Yelta' (blossoms in varying shades of deep purple with white or pale pink throats); and 'Milky Way' (white blossoms with mauve accents).

Thank you Nudrat.
akbhatt

vinod kumar gupta

Sep 16, 2008, 1:22:41 PM9/16/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, J.M. Garg, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Kindly confirm weather this floweris same(taken at delhi on 140908)

Vinod

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:
This flower has been flowering in my garden for some time now. It opens up in the morning, and closes by aboout 10-11 am. Is it natural or is so because of hot sun post-rain?
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Bhind Road
Gwalior. 474 005.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
flower_id_obp_795_140908.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 16, 2008, 2:08:01 PM9/16/08
to vinod kumar gupta, J.M. Garg, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Vinod! The link from wlkepedia quoted by Mr Garg says that ipomoea can be blue to purple to white. This could be ipomoea. Althoough it may not be morning glory. However, let the experts opine.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

J.M. Garg

Nov 27, 2009, 11:04:02 PM11/27/09
to indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Tabish, Dinesh Valke, Anand Kumar Bhatt, satyendra tiwari

Earlier relevant feedback:

“P.S.Satyendra: the botanical name of the flower is ipomoea purpurea.” from Anand ji.

Dec 26, 2009, 2:40:32 AM12/26/09
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt
Earlier relevant feedback:
“P.S.Satyendra: the botanical name of the flower is ipomoea purpurea.” from Anand ji.

Nov 25, 2010, 4:25:32 AM11/25/10
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ron_Convolvulaceae
A reply:
"Hello,
    The plant in the photos is Ipomoea nil cultivar "Scarlett O'Hara"
regards,
Ron"

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1420 members & 52,000 messages on 26/10/10 & with a database of around 4200 species on 30/9/10)