Plant for ID 16/09/2011 SMP2

Satish Phadke

Sep 16, 2011, 9:50:41 AM9/16/11
to indiantreepix
A cucurbitaceae member for ID
It was interesting to note bracts(?) on a long pedicel

Date/Time-

15/09/2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Pune City

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Climber.

Height/Length-

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Palmately lobed Alternate. Tendrils present.

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Axillary solitary

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

3 sm Yellow   Bract like leaf present on the long pedicel

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Not observed

_MG_3779s.jpg
_MG_3761s.jpg
_MG_3764s.jpg
_MG_3770s.jpg
_MG_3771s.jpg
_MG_3777s.jpg

Tanay Bose

Sep 16, 2011, 10:09:39 AM9/16/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Hi Satish Ji
I think this is Momordica charantia. Kindly see the attached paper for
confirmation.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Momordica.pdf

Satish Phadke

Sep 16, 2011, 10:39:07 AM9/16/11
to Tanay Bose, indiantreepix
Dear Tanay
Thanks for the link of the paper.
The key given considers the typeof bract which is important....
It does lead to the said ID of Momordica charantia
"Karla" कार्ला the bitter vegetable.
Dr Phadke

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 17, 2011, 1:30:21 AM9/17/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
The male flowers of Momordica charantia of Cucurbitaceae family.

You mention it as wild. Was it close to the habitation?
 If so, I feel that this could be a garden escape.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2011, 5:32:52 AM9/30/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Yes Giby ji
You are right. I mentioned it wild because it was growing in an open area in the city itself so nobody must have planted it. It must have sprouted from the seeds of thrown garbage which is not uncommon with many cucurbitaceae members.
--
Dr Satish Phadke