Lads with churchungi soppu (Itching herb) - Tragia involucrata L.

raghu ananth

Nov 17, 2010, 8:39:57 AM11/17/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Regional name: Churchungi soppu (Itching herb)

Tragia involucrata L. (Hope the scientific name is correct)

http://envis.frlht.org.in/plant_details.php?disp_id=2104

Nov 7, 2010, 4.24PM, Sunday

-----------------------------------

The evening rains force the village lads to come home early. The rains might have played spoilsport but there’s no reason as to why the boys cannot have a bit of fun. Many times I have seen these children with loads of green grass on their shoulder and Bicycle.   But this time they are found carrying these little greens from the lake surroundings, known to cause itching on human skin and use them on folks – theirs friends and surreptitiously on their foes we well!

Heavy rains lashed around 5PM in the evening and continued till 3 AM in the morning.

Place Chandagal village, Mysore district

Regards

Raghu

DSC_9501a.jpg
DSC_9502b.jpg
DSC_9503b.jpg
DSC_9505d.jpg
DSC_9510f.jpg
DSC_9509c.jpg
DSC_9514h.jpg

raghu ananth

Nov 17, 2010, 9:15:22 AM11/17/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
This green grass the lad is carrying in gunny bags for the livestock, is cut & brought from the cauvery river banks which is about 4 kms away.

From my photo archive - dated 16 May 2010
Chandagal, Mysore district

Regards
Raghu
Nov 2010
Chennai

DSC_3548a.jpg

tanay bose

Nov 17, 2010, 11:42:31 AM11/17/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tragia involucrata in plant is horrible it itches your skin
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

C KUNHIKANNAN

Nov 17, 2010, 2:26:52 PM11/17/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tragia involucrata
Kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 4:41:54 AM12/3/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tragia involucrata L. Sp. Pl. 2: 980. 1753

Type: LINN 1103.8 (Herb Linn)
This should be designated as type as till now type has not been
designated for this taxa.
Pankaj

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

MOST likely Lectotype Tragia involcrata.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 4:54:02 AM12/3/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
On second thought, I just realised, that the plant on sheet is different.
Can anyone through some light?
Protologue says pinnatifid.
Regards
Pankaj
PROTOLOGUE Tragia involcrata.jpg

Vijayasankar

Dec 3, 2010, 10:31:16 AM12/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pankaj, pl see the herbarium specimen has already been correctly determined as Tragia cannabina which is now T. plukenetii.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 10:37:04 AM12/3/10
to Vijayasankar, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, I am sorry I didnt notice it :(.

Yes this is not the type for involucrata ..
Thanks for clarification Vijay.
My apologies for wrong posting too.
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 11:24:55 AM12/3/10
to Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com
true :P

JM Garg

Jan 26, 2017, 5:01:04 AM1/26/17
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, raghu ananth

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please Tragia involucrata

DSC_9501a.jpg
DSC_9502b.jpg
DSC_9503b.jpg
DSC_9505d.jpg
DSC_9510f.jpg
DSC_9509c.jpg
DSC_9514h.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jan 26, 2017, 9:08:29 AM1/26/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Tragia involucrata.

J.M. Garg

Jan 26, 2017, 11:37:11 PM1/26/17
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, raghu ananth

Thanks a lot,  Tapas ji