Trinomial Names or Bi generic names

Rajendra Shinde

Aug 7, 2011, 8:45:21 AM8/7/11
to indiantreepix Indian
Hello,

I have come across a reference of Trinomial or Bi generic names by M. Cato ( De Re Rustica). Tried to search on these for few examples but could not locate it. Can any one throw some light on these names? any examples?

Thanks

Shinde

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 7, 2011, 9:54:28 AM8/7/11
to Rajendra Shinde, indiantreepix Indian
Shinde ji

Could you kindly provide some more information about this reference? A bigeneric name generally is formed by combining the first part (or whole) of one genus and second part (or whole) of second genus. The classical example is XTriticosecale  (Triticum aestivum x Secale cereale). Of course there is no binomial available for this, being man-made hybrid.

Binomials are available for some naturally formed intergeneric hybrids. Here is an example:

XAgropogon lutosus (Agrostis stolonifera X Polypogon monspeliensis)

Trinomials we generally use for infraspecic taxa. I would be interested to know what trinomial is meant in this reference.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 9, 2011, 10:38:33 AM8/9/11
to efloraofindia
Trinomial Nomenclature if not found in plants but they exist in
animals.
Like

Cervus eldi eldi.
Panthera tigris corbetti

etc.

These are actually not subspecies or varieties.

To me, Bi-generic name is a different thing and even there are
trigeneric names and they do exist in plants especially among hybrids.
Like Aranda = Aerides + Vanda
Sophrolaleocatleya = Sophronitis + Laelia + Cattleya.

I hope I am on the right track.

Pankaj

On Aug 7, 6:54 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shinde ji
>
> Could you kindly provide some more information about this reference? A
> bigeneric name generally is formed by combining the first part (or whole) of
> one genus and second part (or whole) of second genus. The classical example
> is X*Triticosecale*  (Triticum aestivum x Secale cereale). Of course there
> is no binomial available for this, being man-made hybrid.
>
> Binomials are available for some naturally formed intergeneric hybrids. Here
> is an example:
>
> X*Agropogon lutosus* (Agrostis stolonifera X Polypogon monspeliensis)
>
> Trinomials we generally use for infraspecic taxa. I would be interested to
> know what trinomial is meant in this reference.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 10, 2011, 12:19:01 AM8/10/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, Rajendra Shinde, efloraofindia
Yes Pankaj ji
Here is the information from my book (some things must have missed copy pasting from Pagemaker)

Names of Hybrids
Hybridity is indicated by the use of the multiplication sign, or by the addition of the prefix ‘notho-’ to the term denoting the rank of the taxon, the principal ranks being nothogenus and nothospecies. A hybrid between named taxa may be indicated by placing the multiplication sign between the names of the taxa; the whole expression is then called a hybrid formula:
1. Agrostis X Polypogon
2. Agrostis stolonifera X Polypogon monspeliensis
3. Salix aurita   X  S. caprea
      It is usually preferable to place the names or epithets in a formula in alphabetical order. The direction of a cross may be indicated by including the sexual symbols (     : female;        : male) in the formula, or by placing the female parent first. If a non-alphabetical sequence is used, its basis should be clearly indicated.
    A hybrid may either be interspecific (between two species belonging to the same genus) or intergeneric (between two species belonging to two different genera). A binary name may be given to the interspecific hybrid or nothospecies (if it is self-perpetuating and/or reproductively isolated) by placing the cross sign (if mathematical sign is available it should be placed immediately before the specific epithet, otherwise ‘x’ in lower case may be used with a gap) before the specific epithet as in the following cases (hybrid formula may be added within the parentheses if the parents are established):
 1. Salix  x capreola (S. aurita  X  S. caprea)
     or Salix  Xcapreola (S. aurita  X  S. caprea)
 2.  Rosa   x odorata  (R. chinensis   X  R. gigantea)
or Rosa  Xodorata  (R. chinensis  X R. gigantea)
The variants of interspecific hybrids are named nothosubspecies and nothovarieties, e.g. Salix rubens nothovar. basfordiana.
    For an intergeneric hybrid, if given a distinct generic name, the name is formed as a condensed formula by using the first part (or whole) of one parental genus and last part (or whole) of another genus (but not the whole of both genera). A cross sign is placed before the generic name of the hybrid, e.g. XTriticosecale  (or x Triticosecale) from Triticum and Secale, XPyronia (or x Pyronia)  from Pyrus and Cydonia, and Agropogon from Agrostis and Polypogon.. The names may be written as under:
1. XTriticosecale (Triticum   X  Secale)
2.  XPyronia  (Pyrus  X  Cydonia)
    The nothogeneric name of an intergeneric hybrid derived from four or more genera is formed from the name of a person to which is added the termination -ara; no such name may exceed eight syllables. Such a name is regarded as a condensed formula:
  XPotinara (Brassavola   X Cattleya   X Laelia
                X  Sophronitis)
    The nothogeneric name of a trigeneric hybrid is either:  (a) a condensed formula in which the three names adopted for the parental genera are combined into a single word not exceeding eight syllables, using the whole or first part of one, followed by the whole or any part of another, followed by the whole or last part of the third (but not the whole of all three) and, optionally, one or two connecting vowels; or (b) a name formed like that of a nothogenus derived from four or more genera, i.e., from a personal name to which is added the termination -ara:
  XSophrolaeliocattleya (Sophronitis   X  Laelia   X Cattleya)
    When a nothogeneric name is formed from the name of a person by adding the termination -ara, that person should preferably be a collector, grower, or student of the group.
 A binomial for the intergeneric hybrid may similarly be written as under:
   XAgropogon lutosus (Agrostis stolonifera  X Polypogon monspeliensis)
It is important to note that a binomial for an interspecific hybrid has a cross before the specific epithet, whereas in an intergeneric hybrid, it is before the generic name.   Since the names of nothogenera and nothotaxa with the rank of a subdivision of a genus are condensed formulae or treated as such, they do not have types.
   Since the name of a nothotaxon at the rank of species or below has a type, statements of parentage play a secondary part in determining the application of the name.
The grafts between two species are indicated by a plus sign between two grafted species as, for example, Rosa webbiana + R. floribunda.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Aug 10, 2011, 3:38:12 AM8/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, Rajendra Shinde, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir for throwing light on the matter in detail
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat