Vinca major and V. minor

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2010, 1:33:58 AM9/28/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
A few months back there was a lot of discussion on this group and some confusion primarily because of representation of the two species at FOI. Whereas the specimens of V. major are not typical of the species, the true specimens of V. major are depicted under V. minor. I have collected a lot of V. major in Kashmir, Manali and other hill stations. The plant is much lax with trailing branches reaching several metres, leaves which are usually ovate, almost as broad as long, truncate or cordate at base,  flowers nearly 1.5-2 cm across borne on almost 3-5 cm long stalks. The leaf margins and calyx lobes are ciliate.
      I could not find V. minor in India but was lucky to find it growing in California here. The plant is with shorter branches, smaller nearly elliptic-oblong leaves which are narrowed at both ends, smaller flowers nearly 2.5 cm across on nearly 1-2 cm long stalks. Leaf margins and calyx lobes are glabrous

I am uploading both V. major from Manali and V. minor from California to show better comparison so that V. minor could be searched in India and brought to our databases.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vinca-minor-California-3.jpg
Vinca-major-Manali-1.jpg
Vinca-major-Manali-2.jpg
Vinca-major-Manali-3.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-1.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-2.jpg

Tabish

Sep 28, 2010, 4:01:42 AM9/28/10
to EfloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
I am posting pictures which I have. The first two I believe to be
of Vinca minor. I have put a cropped picture showing leaf margin,
which is supposed to be hairless in Vinca minor.
In the 3rd picture, which I believe to be Vinca major, the leaf
margins are prominently hairy.
According to Flora of China, Vinca minor has the following
characteristics: "Leaf blade oblong, ovate, or elliptic, 1-4.5 X
0.5-2.5 cm, base rounded or cuneate, margin not ciliate".
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200018491
Best wishes
- Tabish
Vinca_minor-a.jpg
Vinca_minor-b.jpg
Vinca_major.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 28, 2010, 11:25:10 AM9/28/10
to kisa...@gmail.com, Tabish, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Tabish ji
You have to see the two growing in nature to appreciate the differences. I believe your first two specimens are V. major and third V. probably V.minor (though not typical).

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:40 AM, niraj mehta <coolni...@gmail.com> wrote:
kisa...@gmail.com
--
           cooln...@yahoo.co.in
           niraj...@rediff.com

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 21, 2010, 7:44:01 PM10/21/10
to kisa...@gmail.com, Tabish, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Found V. major also in California. Attaching leaf margin blow up to highlight differences between the two species. The flower size of V. major is almost twice (nearly 5 cm diam.) as compared to V. minor.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vinca-minor-California.jpg
Vinca-major-California.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 1, 2010, 7:15:39 PM11/1/10
to kisa...@gmail.com, Tabish, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Having found more of Vinca major as well as Vinca minor in California here. I find the following clear differences:

Vinca major                                                                             Vinca minor

1. Plants loosely spreading on ground with longer internodes       Plants compactly spreading on ground with shorter internodes
2. Leaves broadly ovate, 5-9 cm long, 3/4 to as broad                  Leaves elliptic to oblong, 2-4 cm long, about 1/2 as broad
3. Leaf base truncate or subcordate, margin minutely ciliate         Leaf base rounded or cuneate, margin not ciliate
4. Pedicel 3-5 cm long                                                              Pedicel 1-2 cm long
5. Flower 3-5 cm in diam                                                           Flower 2.5-3 cm in diam.

I am attaching more photographs from California

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vinca-minor-California-5.jpg
Vinca-major-California-1.jpg
Vinca-major-California-2.jpg
Vinca-major-California-3.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-1.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-2.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-3.jpg
Vinca-minor-California-4.jpg

tanay bose

Nov 1, 2010, 9:27:09 PM11/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, kisa...@gmail.com, Tabish, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Thanks for pointing out the differences Sir ji
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.