Vinca for Common & Botanical ID - 160711 - RK -2

ranjini kamath

Jul 16, 2011, 4:57:34 AM7/16/11
to indiatreepix
Pics taken Los Altos,California - March 2011
Request Common & Bot ID
Thank you
Ranjini kamath
IMG_8859-ph.jpg
IMG_8566-ph2.jpg

Smilax004

Jul 16, 2011, 5:49:05 AM7/16/11
to efloraofindia
Vinca major, (Large Periwinkle/Greater Periwinkle/Blue Periwinkle) of
Apocynaceae family. Native to Europe

more info@
http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Large%20Leaf%20Periwinkle.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinca_major

Regards,
Giby
>  IMG_8859-ph.jpg
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_8566-ph2.jpg
> 129KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 16, 2011, 6:52:33 AM7/16/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
This is Vinca minor and not V. major. Kindly note narrower, non-cordate leaves. shorter internodes. It is very commonly grown private houses and roadsides in California.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Giby Kuriakose

Jul 16, 2011, 7:31:25 AM7/16/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, I agree with Singhji, I did a mistake I didn't notice the leaves and identified wrongly. Sorry for that and Thank you Sighji for correcting me.
please check the link below and the links given in my previous message. We can see the difference.

Thanks and regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

tanay bose

Jul 16, 2011, 1:42:15 PM7/16/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes this is Vinca minor
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Jul 17, 2011, 4:17:24 AM7/17/11
to efloraofindia
yes, v. minor... a popular ground cover, requiring ver little care...
other than the automatic sprinkler that waters it
and the grass feeding system that runs off to surrounding areas of the
yards...
does well even in shade... even coming back year after year in ne
states that
get blanketed with snow, ice and freezing rain...

usha di
ps thaks, dr singh for pointing out the differences...

========