Tree for ID

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Aug 26, 2010, 9:44:49 AM8/26/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Posting a small tree for ID. Location- reserved forest in Pune. 3-5 m tall. Bark light coloured. Leaves 2 pinnate, 20-30 cm long; pinnae 2-3 pairs, 15-20 cm long; leaflets opposite, sessile, elliptic, 3 cm, hairy. Pods 10-12 cm, flat, 1-2 cm wide. Regards,

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
Tree_for_ID.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 26, 2010, 9:04:44 PM8/26/10
to Shrikant Ingalhalikar, indian...@googlegroups.com
I hope some species of Senna
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Kenneth Greby

Aug 26, 2010, 10:07:08 PM8/26/10
to tanay bose, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Not Senna or Cassia with bipinnately compound leaves.

Regards--
Ken.

Aug 26, 2010, 10:24:18 PM8/26/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, I agree with Ken. Bipinnate leaves rules out Senna. Is it
Paraserianthes lophantha or P. falcataria? Regards, Shrikant

On Aug 27, 7:07 am, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not Senna or Cassia with bipinnately compound leaves.
>
> Regards--
> Ken.
>
> ________________________________

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 28, 2010, 4:59:05 PM8/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hi
sharing a snap of a tall tree with crimson flowers....
Location: Jadavpur. Kolkata.
Date: 29th August 2010.

Shantanu : )

100_0964.jpg
100_09643.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 28, 2010, 5:27:59 PM8/28/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Spathodea campanulata
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Aug 28, 2010, 8:07:03 PM8/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Shantanu Bhattacharya, efloraofindia
Spathodea campanulata indeed
Tanay

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 29, 2010, 4:28:41 AM8/29/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi Tanay and Pankaj ji...
Thanks for the Id of this tree.

Some more info on this spcies. I came to know that it is commonly called African Tulip tree. and in Bengali it is called Rudra Palash. It has originated in Africa. Spathodea is a monotypi genus in the flowering plant family Bignoniaceae. The single species it contains, Spathodea campanulata, is commonly known as the Fountain Tree, African Tulip Tree, Flame-of-the-forest, Rudra Palash, Pichkari or Nandi Flame. It is a tree that grows between 7–25 m (23–82 ft) tall and is native to tropical Africa. This tree is planted extensively as an ornamental tree throughout the tropics and is much appreciated for its very showy reddish-orange or crimson (rarely yellow), campanulate flowers. It has the potential to become an invasive species, however.

The flower bud is ampule-shaped and contains water. These buds are often used by children who play with its ability to squirt the water. The sap sometimes stains yellow on fingers and clothes. The open flowers are cup-shaped and holds rain and dew, making them attractive to many species of birds. In Neotropical gardens and parks, their nectar is popular with many hummingbirds, such as the Black-throated Mango (Anthracothorax nigricollis), the Black Jacobin (Florisuga fusca), or the Gilded Hummingbird (Hylocharis chrysura). The wood of the tree is soft and is used for nesting by many hole-building birds such as barbets.

regards

Shantanu : )

Kenneth Greby

Aug 29, 2010, 4:48:08 AM8/29/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Here are a couple of photos of the yellow-flowered form. It is fairly common in Florida and to a lesser extent in Southern California, USA.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/PHTO0016-4-1.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/Spathodeacampanulatayelformcopy.jpg

Regards--
Ken.

Aug 29, 2010, 2:47:39 PM8/29/10
to Kenneth Greby, Shantanu Bhattacharya, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing informations Shantanu Da with was well supplemented with photos from Ken
Tanay

Shantanu

Aug 29, 2010, 3:26:51 PM8/29/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Mr.Kenneth
Lovely pics of the rarely seen yellow blossoms of Spathodea.

i came to know from a book by Dr.H.Santapau that there is no record
of the time when this tree was first introduced into India. It was
brought to Ceylon from Angola in Africa around 1873.
In Mumbai and many other cities along the coast, this tree flowers
regularly but never with the profusion with which it does in Pune,
Bangalore and other cities in the drier parts of the country.
The tree in Mumbai behaves like an evergreen tree, in drier parts of
the country it may lose all its leaves for a short time during the hot
weather. The wood is soft, and therefore may be damaged by strong
winds.
In Tropical Africa, where the tree actually belongs, the tree flowers
in Sept to May. In Mumbai, it flowers throughout the cold season and
early part of summer, and also often survives the monsoon months.
It is surely one of the finest avenue trees, but to get the best
result from it, the tree should be planted in well-drained soils. It
can thrive upto elevations of 1500 metres.

Regards
Shantanu : )

On Aug 29, 11:47 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing informations Shantanu Da with was well supplemented with
> photos from Ken
> Tanay
>

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  Here are a couple of photos of the yellow-flowered form. It is fairly
> > common in Florida and to a lesser extent in Southern California, USA.
>
> >http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/PHTO0016-4-1.jpg
>
> >http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/Spathodeacampanulatay...
>
> > Regards--
> > Ken.
> >  ------------------------------
> > *From:* Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com>

tanay bose

Aug 29, 2010, 8:40:02 PM8/29/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
A interesting set of information Shantanu Da
Tanay

promila chaturvedi

Aug 30, 2010, 8:58:08 AM8/30/10
to tanay bose, Shantanu, efloraofindia
This is Spathodea campnulata-Tulip Tree.
Promila

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 25, 2010, 10:53:20 PM9/25/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Vijayasankar Raman
Resurfacing again for ID

Feedback

Shreekant ji...............................................Yes, I agree with Ken. Bipinnate leaves rules out Senna. Is it

Paraserianthes lophantha or P. falcataria?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2010, 8:50:21 AM10/21/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, tanay bose, satish pardeshi, Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, satish phadke
A reply:
"the leaves are bipinnate  and the fruits shapes points towards some Albizzia species.
Regards
Satish Pardeshi "

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 3, 2010, 4:20:08 PM11/3/10
to efloraofindia
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Pardeshi ji..............................................the leaves are bipinnate  and the fruits shapes points towards some Albizzia species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Jan 28, 2017, 11:39:53 AM1/28/17
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, radha veach, Tapas Chakrabarty
Earlier feedback:
Yes, I agree with Ken. Bipinnate leaves rules out Senna. Is it
Paraserianthes lophantha or P. falcataria? Regards, Shrikant

Tree_for_ID.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jan 28, 2017, 11:59:57 AM1/28/17
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, radha veach
Neither "lophantha" nor "falcataria".  I am unable to recognize this image under Albizia or closely allied genera, such as Paraserianthes and Falcataria.

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2017, 12:33:25 AM1/29/17
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, radha veach, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thanks, Shrikant ji.