fruits & vegetables :: NATIVE, WILD :: Dioscoreaceae » Dioscorea belophylla

Dinesh Valke

Jan 2, 2011, 3:01:15 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia
Dioscoreaceae (yam family) » Dioscorea belophylla
Synonym: Dioscorea glabra

dy-oh-SKOR-ee-uh -- named for Pedanios Dioscorides, 1st century Greek pharmacologist
bel-oh-FIL-uh -- spear or arrow-like leaves

commonly known as: spear-leaved dioscorea • Bengali: chupri alu • Hindi: तुरर turar • Kannada: ಕಾದು ಗೆಣಸು kaadu genasu • Marathi: जंगली मटोळ jangli matol, कडु कंद kadu kand, नंद कंद nand kand • Sanskrit: शङ्खालुका sankhaluka

Native of: India, Pakistan

Edible use (WILD):
... tubers (as VEGETABLE) ... ... tribal folks of Melghat Forest ... ethnoleaflets

4787517694_5363d43fd6_b.jpg
4786878003_052021a196_b.jpg
4787506842_ee13117842_b.jpg

Balkar Arya

Jan 3, 2011, 9:07:13 AM1/3/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Congrts Dinesh Ji for for a great Fruit and vegetable week . Really
huge response shown by you and other members will make this week a
great success.

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

JM Garg

Jan 9, 2022, 5:11:31 AM1/9/22
to DineshValke, efloraofindia
4787517694_5363d43fd6_b.jpg
4786878003_052021a196_b.jpg
4787506842_ee13117842_b.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 9, 2022, 5:14:05 AM1/9/22
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Tabish
This looks different from images and references at Dioscorea belophylla (Prain) Voigt ex Haines
Appears close to images and details at Dioscorea bulbifera L.
Needs correction in Flora of India also.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
4787517694_5363d43fd6_b.jpg
4786878003_052021a196_b.jpg
4787506842_ee13117842_b.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 9, 2022, 6:20:55 AM1/9/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish
Ok, thanks Garg ji, I will correct my notes.
Regards.
Dinesh

radha veach

Jan 9, 2022, 12:05:33 PM1/9/22
to efloraofindia
I feel that Dinesh's plant is  correctly identified as D. belophylla. The leaves of this species are variable and his images have the typical hastate shape not seen in Dioscorea bulbifera.
Triangular leaf lobes are also typical.
regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2022, 6:43:14 AM1/12/22
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, radha veach
Thanks, Radha ji, for your valuable inputs.
You may be right on account of cordate leaves as Flora of Pakistan says 'Leaves usually opposite, simple, 7.5-13 cm. long, 2-9 cm broad, variable, ovate, cordate or hastate with round basal lobes or deltoid, entire, acuminate, glabrous 9-nerved; petiole 6.5 cm long.
As per keys in Flora of Pakistan, leaves are opposite in D.belophylla, while these appear to be alternate here.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

radha veach

Jan 12, 2022, 10:46:48 AM1/12/22
to efloraofindia
According to Flora of Pakistan the leaves are usually opposite. It is true Dinesh ji's leaves are alternate.
Please see the link from iNaturalist which shows D. belophylla as commonly seen in Western Ghats.
regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2022, 11:14:34 AM1/12/22
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, radha veach
Thanks, Radha ji.
I am in no way questioning that it is not being found in western ghats.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

radha veach

Jan 12, 2022, 11:26:09 AM1/12/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
No, of course not. I just wanted to show the more typical leaf form.

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2022, 11:28:17 AM1/12/22
to radha veach, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Radha ji.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2022, 11:57:00 PM1/12/22
to J.M. Garg, radha veach, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji and Radha.
If more than one species of a family have variations, and to add to confusion, if these are quite similar looking species, then the descriptions alone may not help in reaching ID. I am not good at this D. belophylla, but the variations can cause confusion for sure.

In the photo that we see the leaves, each of them appear facing us. I do not know whether such an arrangement can be called alternate leaves. It makes me think that the opposite leaves are absent. Whether leaf arrangement itself is variable in this species, needs to be validated.

Regards.
Dinesh