Trumpet vine for ID 922011 UD 002

ushadi Micromini

Sep 2, 2011, 10:08:45 AM9/2/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Dear All:
Seriously now...

Please help me ID... classify this trumpet flower and its vine...

Its at the entrance of a nursery in Los Angeles...
they said the vine is at least  more than 40 years old.  Hence the large thick stem, and bleached surface of the beautifully cracked bark...

Date/Time-  summer 2008

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-   sea level

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-  garden grown

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-   climber

Height/Length-   climbing over a trellis , yearly trimming...

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-  about 4 inches,   ovate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-   small bunch

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-    3 inches max , fused tube /trumpet like

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-  not seed

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-  no data

thank you

usha di

Trumpet vine 1 to ID may 08 125 crp sm name.jpg
Trumpet vine 2 to id may 08 127 sm crp name.jpg
Trupet vine 3 to ID may 08 128 sm crp nm.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 2, 2011, 10:47:30 AM9/2/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
I guess it is crossvine, Bignonia capreolata, and not a trumpet vine.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Sep 2, 2011, 8:42:15 PM9/2/11
to efloraofindia
thank you, Gurucharan ji...

now come to look at fig 2 closely, i can see the third leaf developing
into a tendril...

originally did not see any tendrils... that was not correct.
secondly, sorry donot have good enface flower pic... but enlarging
these in fig 1... I can see the 5 petals in the peculiar.. 1, 2, 2
arrangement, not exactly a perfect round...

Your observation is exact...

Thanks

I WILL CORRECT MY PICTURES label...

QUESTION>>>DOES IT GROW IN INDIA?

Usha di
=============

On Sep 2, 7:47 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess it is crossvine, Bignonia capreolata, and not a trumpet vine.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM, ushadi Micromini

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 2, 2011, 10:37:10 PM9/2/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di
I had photographed one in California. Yet to see it here, but being cultivated, should find it surely at some similar place.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Jul 10, 2014, 1:39:48 AM7/10/14
to efloraofindia, Ushadi Micromini, Gurcharan Singh
Amphilophium buccinatorium  as per another thread.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,93,000 messages on 30/6/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Trumpet vine 1 to ID may 08 125 crp sm name.jpg
Trumpet vine 2 to id may 08 127 sm crp name.jpg
Trupet vine 3 to ID may 08 128 sm crp nm.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Jul 10, 2014, 11:55:48 AM7/10/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Thanks Mr Garg for digging out an old case.
And Gurcharanji
next time I go to the nursery I'll try and get someone to help me get the flower(s) down so they can be measured.
The vine has survived for 40+ years, so hoping it will be there.

Ushadi
--
Usha di