Jagala ganti mara - Quarrelsome tree

raghu ananth

Mar 8, 2008, 6:50:37 AM3/8/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Sneha Suresh, sunita habbu, Nagendra S

According to the local farmers belief, if the wood from this tree is used as a fire wood at home, a quarrel arises between mother in law and daughter in law. There by the villagers avoid cutting of this tree for fuel. In this picture we can see only half of the tree with leaves and the other  half barren.

Location: Moodlu Koppalu
K R Nagar, Mysore dist.

Jagala Ganti mara (English : Quarrel some tree )
Family: Ebenaceae
Diospyros montana

 Regards
Raghu / Sneha / Suresh

Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.
JagalaGantiMara.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2008, 1:40:04 AM3/10/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sneha Suresh, sunita habbu, Nagendra S
Hi, Raghu,
I could find a good link for this tree called Diospyros candolleana as per the link: http://www.indian-herbs-exporters.com/_diospyros_candolleana.html

Do you have other pictures of leaves etc. pl. post them?

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

raghu ananth

Mar 10, 2008, 11:57:11 PM3/10/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

 trunk and leaf of the same tree

On 3/8/08, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

According to the local farmers belief, if the wood from this tree is used as a fire wood at home, a quarrel arises between mother in law and daughter in law. There by the villagers avoid cutting of this tree for fuel. In this picture we can see only half of the tree with leaves and the other  half barren.

Location: Moodlu Koppalu
K R Nagar, Mysore dist.

Jagala Ganti mara (English : Quarrel some tree )
Family: Ebenaceae
Diospyros montana

 Regards
Raghu / Sneha / Suresh

Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.

Forgot the famous last words? Access your message archive online. Click here.
JG-Leaf.jpg
JagalaGantiMara-bark-80.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2008, 1:45:03 AM3/11/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Raghu ji. Sorry, I didn't see that you have already given its scientific name as Diospyros montana. Here is one link for this: http://encyclopedia.frlht.org.in/index.php?plantid=837&calledFrom=VIEW_ALL_SPECIES&sortBy=Y&gPAGE_NO=2&gLOWER_LIMIT=20#view

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2008, 4:41:24 AM3/11/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Trees of Delhi by P. Krishen states Diospyros montana as invalid syn. of D. cordifolia, while D. montana var. cordifolia as valid syn. of D. cordifolia. Common names for D. cordifolia being Bistendu, Mountain persimmon, Bombay Ebony, Kendu etc.

"We often ignore the beauty around us"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

raghu ananth

May 27, 2010, 3:50:12 PM5/27/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Jagala ganti mara - Quarrelsome tree

This file picture of the Diospyros montana tree that was posted years back shows one half of the tree with leaves and the other half barren. We were positive that leaves would sprout on the side that was hitherto barren. Our patience bore fruit this year (a period of 5 years since the first post) with the tree showing clear signs of green leaves on its barren side. But then, thanks to Nature's fury, the newly bedecked Jagala ganti mara or the   Diospyros montana tree lay uprooted.  Sigh!

May 05 2010

Moodlu Koppal

Picture of Jagalaganti  photo Feb 2008
Aug 26, 2011, 4:48:38 AM8/26/11
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, H S, Gurcharan Singh, naray...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, varunv...@gmail.com
A feedback from thread (https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/69adc52537775beb?hl=en#):
" ..... Also have serious doubts that the tree in the link provided below by Raghu is actually D.montana.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares."

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

DSC_1813a.jpg
DSC_1814b.jpg
DSC_1815d.jpg
DSC_1816b.jpg
DSC_1820f.jpg
JagalaGantiMara.jpg

Joshi Pankaj

Aug 26, 2011, 4:52:09 AM8/26/11
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, H S, Gurcharan Singh, naray...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, noorunni...@frlht.org, varunv...@gmail.com
Oh..wonderful...Thanks to Nature...

Dr. Pankaj N. Joshi, Programme Coordinator
sahjeevan
175- Jalaram Society, B/h. Vishwamangal Appt.,
Vijay Nagar, Hospital Road
Bhuj-Kutch, Gujarat: 370001 (India)
Phone: 91 2832 251814, Fax: 91 2832 251914,
Mobile: 9426949523
E-mail: joshi.pn....@gmail.com
Office E-mail: sahj...@gmail.com
Website: www.sahjeevan.org