Some suggestion regarding doing Botany

Rajesh Sachdev

Jul 23, 2011, 4:18:38 AM7/23/11
to efloraindia
Since we have many academics on this group who are from Botany background, I would like to seek kind advice, on if I can (at the age of 32 yrs) enroll for Distance Education Programme in B. Sc., M. Sc and Ph. D in botany?  I am Real Estate professional (sales & marketing background) and have been living in Distant suburb of Mumbai, which Institutes (specific faculty for Botany), I can apply for?

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

easa p.s.

Jul 23, 2011, 10:34:39 PM7/23/11
to Rajesh Sachdev, efloraindia
Bombay University used to have M. Sc by research. No idea whether they still have. Worth enquiring.

Easa

I assume IGNOU does offer correspondence course in various subjects
including Botany. Please inquire.
Pankaj

On Jul 24, 7:34 am, "easa p.s." <easaeleph...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bombay University used to have M. Sc by research. No idea whether they still
> have. Worth enquiring.
>
> Easa
>
> ________________________________
> From: Rajesh Sachdev <leopard...@gmail.com>

Balkar Arya

Jul 24, 2011, 8:23:36 PM7/24/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Annamalai University
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Aruna

Jul 25, 2011, 9:47:36 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
Mumbai University still having the course of MSc in Botany by
research. you can get the list of guides and the colleges to which
they are affiliated from Fort University, thesis section.

Aparna Watve

Jul 25, 2011, 9:01:10 PM7/25/11
to Aruna, efloraofindia
There is no distant education programme for BSC/MSC degree in botany and there cannot be one in near future too. This is because a science subject requires practicals in laboratories as of now, (almost 50% grading is on practical -laboratory work).
If you already have MSC degree (botany), you can try entrance  examinations for PHD in any university. If you get through, the PHDs can be carried out as a full scholar or part (from working away from the guide's dept) depending on rules of university and guide's choice.
Mumbai univ and Pune univ both have MSC by research (although it is not common). But in both, some coursework is necessary, and a guide and host institute are a must.
Only distance education course at the moment in "field botany" is at  BNHS. Another weekly taught course is at ARI Pune
Regards
Aparna
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
At present : 34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd. Pune 411004

formp...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2011, 2:55:25 PM7/29/11
to Aparna Watve, Efloraindia, Aruna
Sorry could not write for long.
In Univ of Mumbai when you have to do graduation in science you have to take admission for B.Sc. Course in any college affiliated to Univ and attend the college regularly. We don't have correspondance course in all sc subjects. Though we have distance education B. Sc. course for IT and comp.
Unless you do your B.Sc. You can't take admission for M.Sc. Whether by papers or research. So Ph. D. Is next to it.
But just aquiring Ph. D. Does not mean you have lot of knowledge or you have gained it. What I feel is, you felt like doing Ph. D. To get knowledge. Actually in the above mentioned courses you will waste (?) Your 3+2+3(?) =8 yrs further. Instead my suggestion will be diff. You can do small courses to acquire basic knowlege of Botany as from BNHS, or UNIV of Mumbai distance education course of tree appreciation, horticulture and gardening, even it is in our college.
And study on your own once you know basic terminologies. Wikipedia, google and best is eflora which will help you to understand better.
Focus on some aspect of Botany , collect data and can publish your papers in research journals. 75% people on eflora who send best photographs and perfect ids are not botanists but are engineers, doctors, dentists, comp engineers, zoologists etc ect. And they contribute equal to botanists on the group and even write best refered books on flora
So for getting knowledge Ph.D is not must. Hence I said why waste(?) Time? Start studying.
Some courses on ecology are available for distance learning from Delhi.
Best of Luck.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Aparna Watve <aparna...@gmail.com>