eFl Man for September among moderators: Dr Giby Kuriakose

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2011, 9:02:10 PM9/30/11
to efloraofindia
I am happy to announce eFl man for September among moderators as Dr Giby Kuriakose (Smilax004), who joined this group in August 2009. He has been very active in 2011 and has helped the members with large number of identifications, especially during last two months. He has posted more than 289 mails this month. Congratulations Dr. Giby and continue the good work.

Dr. Giby stands 4th in the overall list, but gets nominated because top three posters Dr. Balkar Singh (1025 mails), Dr. Gurcharan Singh (766) and Ushadi Micromini (476) have already been nominated in the previous months and are enjoying 5 month break from nominations.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 30, 2011, 9:21:10 PM9/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Congrts Giby Ji. Hope for more and more response from you in coming Months
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Satish Phadke

Oct 1, 2011, 12:03:12 AM10/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Congrats Giby ji
The quality of activity has really improved after your active entry.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:32 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2011, 12:13:15 AM10/1/11
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Congratulations dear Giby ji !!
Regards.
Dinesh

Mohan V. Chunkath

Oct 1, 2011, 1:02:48 AM10/1/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Giby ji!
Mohan

Madhuri Raut

Oct 1, 2011, 2:46:35 AM10/1/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Gibyji
Regards
Bhagyashri

2011/10/1 Mohan V. Chunkath <mohan.c...@gmail.com>
Congrats Giby ji!
Mohan

Ushadi micromini

Oct 1, 2011, 9:37:32 AM10/1/11
to efloraofindia

Hey, Giby (ji) well done...
usha di
======
On Oct 1, 11:46 am, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations Gibyji
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>
> 2011/10/1 Mohan V. Chunkath <mohan.chunk...@gmail.com>
>

> > Congrats Giby ji!
> > Mohan

Tanay Bose

Oct 1, 2011, 10:06:24 AM10/1/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Congrats Giby ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 1, 2011, 12:48:12 PM10/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Congratulations Dr. Giby ji.
When are you planning your next visit? A couple of weeks ago, I had a
pack of wild dogs make a kill of a barking deer at my place. Nothing
but bones were left.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Alok

Oct 1, 2011, 12:50:05 PM10/1/11
to efloraofindia
Congrats Giby ji,
Time and again you have come forward and helped us with i.d's... Thank
you for the good support and guidance you give...
regards
Alok

On Oct 1, 6:02 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *I am happy to announce eFl man for September among moderators as Dr Giby
> Kuriakose (Smilax004), who joined this group in August 2009. He has been
> very active in 2011 and has helped the members with large number of
> identifications, especially during last two months. He has posted more than
> 289 mails this month. Congratulations Dr. Giby and continue the good work. *
> *
> *
> *Dr. Giby stands 4th in the overall list, but gets nominated because top
> three posters Dr. Balkar Singh (1025 mails), Dr. Gurcharan Singh (766) and
> Ushadi Micromini (476) have already been nominated in the previous months
> and are enjoying 5 month break from nominations.
> *
> *
> *

Prashant awale

Oct 1, 2011, 1:22:23 PM10/1/11
to Alok, efloraofindia
Congrats Giby ji.
Regards
Prashant

Nayan Singh

Oct 1, 2011, 1:26:59 PM10/1/11
to efloraofindia
Heartly Congratulation Giby ji.
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
Oct 1, 2011, 5:51:14 PM10/1/11
to Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
Congrats Giby, keep up the great work!

I knew Giby as a hardcore pollination biologist and teacher, but I am astonished to see his vast knowledge in taxonomy, too.
Thanks for his dedication and involvement in the group, hardly any plant left unidentified.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Oct 1, 2011, 8:19:51 PM10/1/11
to efloraofindia
Dr. Raman: or Giby ji:

Pollination biologist: what part of science is that:
pollinators???

or the pollen tube formation . attachment , and related proteins and
structures etc??
new subject name for me...

Usha di
=====

On Oct 2, 2:51 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congrats Giby, keep up the great work!
>
> I knew Giby as a hardcore pollination biologist and teacher, but I am
> astonished to see his vast knowledge in taxonomy, too.
> Thanks for his dedication and involvement in the group, hardly any plant
> left unidentified.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Nayan Singh <ns_dungri...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:
>

> > Heartly Congratulation Giby ji.
> > Nayan.
> > N.S.Dungriyal IFS
> > Chief Conservator of Forests

Vijayasankar

Oct 2, 2011, 12:52:37 AM10/2/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Dr. Usha,
Giby will be the right person to answer your question scientifically....
but what I understand is...pollination biology is the study of process of pollination, and its pre & post developments, including plant-animal (pollinators) interactions, their structure, chemistry, taxonomy, adaptations, etc. etc.

During a national seminar on Pollination biology, Giby, as one of the resource persons, taught us all these. Its a vast subject also deals with chemistry & types of nectar, cost of pollination, taxonomy of pollinators, floral visitors, nectar robbers, adaptations of flowers & pollinators and much more...its a very interesting subject...and Giby is an expert in that.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ushadi micromini

Oct 2, 2011, 1:57:48 PM10/2/11
to efloraofindia
thanks dr raman... where is giby ji?

wakey wakey?
=

On Oct 2, 9:52 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dr. Usha,
> Giby will be the right person to answer your question scientifically....
> but what I understand is...pollination biology is the study of process of
> pollination, and its pre & post developments, including plant-animal
> (pollinators) interactions, their structure, chemistry, taxonomy,
> adaptations, etc. etc.
>
> During a national seminar on Pollination biology, Giby, as one of the
> resource persons, taught us all these. Its a vast subject also deals with
> chemistry & types of nectar, cost of pollination, taxonomy of pollinators,
> floral visitors, nectar robbers, adaptations of flowers & pollinators and
> much more...its a very interesting subject...and Giby is an expert in that.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Ushadi micromini

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 2, 2011, 8:24:08 PM10/2/11
to efloraofindia, Giby Kuriakose
In simple words one who studies the pollination in plants is called
pollination biologist. Thats a very interesting subject.
Congratulations Gibs. You are great!!! Keep it up buddy..
Pankaj

prasad dash

Oct 7, 2011, 2:07:15 AM10/7/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Giby Kuriakose
Congratulations Gibyji for the untiring efforts.

Regards

prasad
--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 7, 2011, 2:43:01 AM10/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, prasad dash, Vijayasankar Raman, ushadi Micromini, Nayan Singh, Prashant awale, Alok Mahendroo, Yazdy Palia, tanay bose, Bhagyashri Ranade, , Mohan V. Chunkath, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya
Dear all,

Thank you all members for the wholehearted support throughout. My experience with our group is short, but the experience gained is too large and the homely interactions among members is very nice.

I should thank Dinesh ji for his phone call with an invitation to join our group.

I never had opportunity to learn plants from the north and our group provided/ing a good platform for learning plants from all over India.

I think Vijay has explained about pollination biology nicely.
Yes, pollination biology, in simpler terms, is the transfer of pollen from the anther to the stigma". At present, we are looking at the reproductive ecology of five endemic/endangered species of Syzygiums in the Western Ghats. Since we look in to the reproductive biology, we have to throughly study the post- and pre- events of pollen transfer as well and sometimes we have to follow the insects/birds who act as vector for pollination in plants to know the id of the visitors and to understand who really do the effective pollination job that resulted in fruit set. It is a very interesting field research, especially when I am working with the master of pollination biology, Prof K R Shivanna.

Siting with plants is another interesting experience, sometime it gives you ample opportunity to talk to the plant and the visitors as I may need to sit with the plant to observe and note down the events for the whole day (6am to 6pm!), especially when you want to gather data on visitation by insects or birds.

Some how I missed this thread.
I am sorry for that.
As I couldn't check my mail for 4 days between 01-10-11 to 05-10-11 I missed several interesting threads.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 7, 2011, 2:45:53 AM10/7/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, prasad dash, Vijayasankar Raman, ushadi Micromini, Nayan Singh, Prashant awale, Alok Mahendroo, Yazdy Palia, tanay bose, Bhagyashri Ranade, , Mohan V. Chunkath, Satish Phadke, Dinesh Valke, Balkar Arya
By the way, Great Giby and I are also working on a book on Orchids
since past few years :). He forgot to mention.
Regards
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 7, 2011, 2:46:27 AM10/7/11
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you Yazdi ji.
I would certainly plan a visit to your farm during November because our field work starts by November second week and we would start our next season in Waynad. During my stay in Waynad, I will visit your farm to make friendship with some plants that flowers that time.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby