Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb2 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2010, 11:03:20 PM11/12/10
to efloraofindia

Wild Herb captured in 2nd week of August’10 during the trek from Ghangaria to Hemkunt Sahib.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb2 I2 IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I2 IMG_4908.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4908.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 18, 2010, 10:37:53 AM11/18/10
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, tanay bose, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Herb2 I2 IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I2 IMG_4908.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4908.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 5, 2010, 8:39:09 AM12/5/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale
Nardostachys jatamansi DC. Coll. Mém. vii. 4. t. 2 (1830).

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

PROTOLOGUE N JATAMANSI.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 5, 2010, 8:43:02 AM12/5/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale
Sorry missed to attach the plate, T 2 from the protologue.
PROTOLOGUE N JATAMANSI T 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2010, 11:55:57 AM12/5/10
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Prashant awale
The plant looks different from Nardostachys jatamansii on two counts

The leaves are supposed to be broader, shining and latitudinally veined. Here we can see a clear midrib
The flowers typically are reddish in colour.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 18, 2010, 11:25:35 PM12/18/10
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, TANAY BOSE, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Pankaj ji.......................................Nardostachys jatamansi DC. Coll. Mém. vii. 4. t. 2 (1830)

Me............................................The plant looks different from Nardostachys jatamansii on two counts

The leaves are supposed to be broader, shining and latitudinally veined. Here we can see a clear midrib
The flowers typically are reddish in colour.

I am not still able to place this plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Dec 19, 2010, 4:34:35 AM12/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Nardostachys jatamansi :)

Ninad Raut

Dec 20, 2010, 12:38:38 AM12/20/10
to efloraofindia
Nardostachys jatamansi

Family: Valerianaceae
English Common Name/s: Muskroot, Indian Spikenard

Uses: Rhizomes and Roots are medicinal and also used in perfumery
industry.

Regards
Ninad

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 14, 2011, 2:00:43 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Ninad Raut
Being a taxonomist, when I get a plant in my hand, my first habit is
to check the original protologue or illustration or herbarium. Rest of
the floras are secondary for me as they always should be.
The illustration on the protologue says it all.
This should be
Nardostachys jatamansi DC.Coll. Mém. vii. 4. t. 2 (1830).
The illustration is "t. 2" from the above reference.
I do see similar leaf with single mid rib in the illustration and it
does seem shining to me....
But I am open for discussions, I may be wrong....but my intention was
to encourage usage of original literatures.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 14, 2011, 2:01:36 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Ninad Raut
And yes, that doesnt mean that i doubt the credibility of Dr.
Gurcharan or anyone else.
Regards
Pankaj

JM Garg

Sep 16, 2014, 7:17:27 AM9/16/14
to efloraofindia, D. S Rawat, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh
Hi, Rawat ji,
Pl. confirm it as Nardostachys jatamansi or otherwise.
Herb2 I2 IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I2 IMG_4908.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4907.jpg
Herb2 I IMG_4908.jpg

Nidhan Singh

Sep 16, 2014, 10:59:57 AM9/16/14
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, D. S Rawat, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh
Very beautiful images Garg Ji..thanks for sharing..
I think Rawat Ji have very recently shared this, for me this is rightly identified as Nardostachys jatamansi...
Rawat Ji will tell finally..

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

J.M. Garg

Sep 16, 2014, 11:49:51 PM9/16/14
to efloraofindia
Thanks, Rawat ji.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:49:36 AM9/17/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Its recent name is Nardostachys grandiflora Syn: N.jatamansi. To remove confusion  another member of this family,i.e. Valeriana wallichii is now named as V jatamansi.