Insectivorous plants

Ramjee Nagarajan

Dec 8, 2010, 9:20:45 PM12/8/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

Vanakkam! Greetings from Chennai.

For the first time in my life I had the chance of sighting a couple of beautiful insect-eating plants at Vedaranyam, (10.29 N 79.85 E) last Sunday (06.12.2010)

I guess one of them is Drosera indica, am not sure of the second sps though.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
regards,
ramjee
drosera1.jpg
drosera.jpg

tanay bose

Dec 8, 2010, 9:29:02 PM12/8/10
to Ramjee Nagarajan, indian...@googlegroups.com
The first image is of Drosera indica and the second one is Drosera burmanii
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Nayan Singh

Dec 8, 2010, 9:31:45 PM12/8/10
to Ramjee Nagarajan, efloraofindia
Yes Ist is Drosera indica and IInd is Drosera burmanni
thanks
nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Dec 9, 2010, 12:38:26 AM12/9/10
to Ramjee Nagarajan, indian...@googlegroups.com
No technique is needed for Drosera in India. There are three species
only- all very distinct in characters. So if you see photos of all
three (Drosera indica, D. burmanni, and D. peltata) you can correctly
id each. You can look at recent Hornbill issue (from BNHS) which has
an article on insectivorous species in India including photos of all
three Drosera spp.
Regards
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
At present : 34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd. Pune 411004