[efloraofindia:35386] Ficus racemosa L.

Muthu Karthick

May 20, 2010, 5:13:12 AM5/20/10
to indiantreepix
Ficus racemosa L. of Moraceae.

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

E 172.jpg
E 173.jpg

tanay bose

May 20, 2010, 7:14:08 AM5/20/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Nice Catch Muthu!! Looks Like an old tree
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Muthu Karthick

May 20, 2010, 7:16:04 AM5/20/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
The tree is shot on the shore of River Moyar in the Mudumalai WLS on 01 May 2010.

Many of these trees are seen along river shore as well as along streams.

Muthu Karthick

May 20, 2010, 7:17:04 AM5/20/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thank you Tanayji for appreciation.

Balkar Arya

May 20, 2010, 9:10:15 PM5/20/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu Ji
nice photo
if possible pls upload closeup of leaves also

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Vijayadas D

May 21, 2010, 4:02:45 AM5/21/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
In Malayalam - "Erumakki " especially in south Kerala
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Muthu Karthick

May 21, 2010, 8:28:04 AM5/21/10
to Vijayadas D, indiantreepix

Next time I would shot a leaf close up, sir. sure.

Neil Soares

May 21, 2010, 9:21:45 AM5/21/10
to Vijayadas D, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hi,
 Sending photographs of the leaves of F.racemosa / F.glomerata locally called Umber. The photographs were actually taken [on my property] to show the leaf galls.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 5/21/10, Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wild fig , Umber [Ficus racemosa , Ficus glomerata] leaves.jpg
Galls on Wild fig , Umber [Ficus racemosa , Ficus glomerata] leaves.jpg

tanay bose

May 21, 2010, 9:58:07 AM5/21/10
to Neil Soares, Vijayadas D, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Neil ji,
I hope these are Eriophyes (a kind of mite) leaf gall , Eriophyes gall are very common and are bright red in colour .
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

May 21, 2010, 9:59:02 AM5/21/10
to Neil Soares, Vijayadas D, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
With your permission can I keep the photos? I will wait for your permission
Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

May 21, 2010, 10:04:19 AM5/21/10
to efloraofindia
Same mire infestation in Ziziphus and Diospyros.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=104203

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=103484

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Pankaj Oudhia

May 21, 2010, 10:06:40 AM5/21/10
to efloraofindia
"Same mire" read it as "Same mite"

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

May 21, 2010, 10:15:10 AM5/21/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
No Pankaj Ji, this are indeed leaf galls but not caused by Eriophyes !! may be some other. in Eriophyes galls the the hypertrophied leaf tissues turn pink at young stage and then to red like seen in Neil ji's photo. The best way is just to cut a L.S of the leaf through the gall and you can see the eggs or the larvae which can determine the exact organism.
Tanay

Pankaj Oudhia

May 21, 2010, 2:14:27 PM5/21/10
to efloraofindia
May be you are right but I sent samples to New Delhi to Entomologists. They have identified it. Also researchers from pestnet yahoo group have confirmed it.

Will try to send the samples again. Thanks.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

May 21, 2010, 11:22:41 PM5/21/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks for your informative reciprocation , you can try out I told you what was in my knowledge.
tanay