Flowers from Uttarakhand-ID requested_DS11052011_SN4

Dalia Set

May 11, 2011, 4:03:52 AM5/11/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Another beautiful and very showy pink flower on roadside small shrub - Uttarakhand Apr 2011.
Please id for me.

Thnaks
Dalia
ForID4_Kakragad.jpg
ForID5_Kakragad.jpg

Ritesh Choudhary

May 11, 2011, 4:11:07 AM5/11/11
to efloraofindia
I think Berginia ciliata

Regards,
Ritesh.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 11, 2011, 4:14:11 AM5/11/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Berginia cilliata
A highly medicinal plant.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2011, 8:24:22 AM5/11/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Bergenia ciliata

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

dalia

May 12, 2011, 2:08:53 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks everybody for identification.
I searched internet after you provide the sc. name and noted it's
mecinal usage - "It is reported to be helpful in dissolving kidney
stones". Interesting..

Dalia

Dalia

On May 11, 5:24 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Bergenia ciliata
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Yes Berginia cilliata
> > A highly medicinal plant.
> > Pankaj
>
> > On May 11, 4:11 am, Ritesh Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think Berginia ciliata
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Ritesh.- Hide quoted text -

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 21, 2016, 10:46:44 PM11/21/16
to efloraofindia
I have confirmed correct identifications of B.stracheyi and B.purpuracsens - now it gets more complicated!

Stewart listed Bergenia himalaica (syn. B.ciliata var. ligulata, B.ligulata) as common & gregarious on shady cliffs @ 1800-3000m in Kashmir.

He mentioned B.ciliata var. ciliata as only recorded from Hazara and Kagan Valley.   There has clearly been confusion between these similar taxa.

Ghazanfar in Saxifragaceae (Flora of Pakistan, 1977) recognised only 2 species in Pakistan: B.stracheyi and B.ciliata, splitting the latter into forma ciliata
and forma ligulata on the basis of the hirsute leaves of the former (though sometimes glabrous upper surface)..  She considered forma ciliata as very common on rocks in and around the Murree area.

Nowadays, B.ciliata forma ligulata (or B.himalaica as Stewart knew it) is Bergenia pacumbis.  I think the plant photographed in Uttarakhand is probably this rather than what is now the separate B.ciliata - though I think there has been confusion between some forms of both.

The plant used medicinally is mainly or perhaps exclusively Bergenia pacumbis included specimens cultivated in the 'Medicinal Plants Section of the Nehru Botanical Garden, Srinagar, Kashmir - images of which I may post.

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2016, 11:10:04 PM11/21/16
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Dalia Set

Thanks, Chadwell ji