Thaylacospermum caespitosum

amit chauhan

Jan 6, 2011, 5:41:09 AM1/6/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

The plant depicted in  photo is a mound of plant belonging to family Caryophyllaceae Thylacospermum caespitosum (Camb.) Sch. collected from Khardungla, Ladakh

regards

Dr. Amit Chauhan
JTA
CIMAP, RC, Pantnagar
Dist. Udham Singh Nagar
Uttarakhand
12810047.JPG

Anandi Sharan

Jan 6, 2011, 7:30:08 AM1/6/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
What an exciting looking thing - would you say this is one metre diametre roughly? Does it spread? warm regards Anandi
--
----

kiran srivastava

Jan 6, 2011, 8:04:55 AM1/6/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
AMAZING!
cheers,
Kiran Srivastava

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 6, 2011, 11:31:16 AM1/6/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hey Doc,
Nice to see here buddy....
Happy posting....
Thanks for sharing the beautiful pic.
Pankaj

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM, amit chauhan <amit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 6, 2011, 11:32:03 AM1/6/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
What are those plants on the tuft?
Pankaj

amit chauhan

Jan 7, 2011, 12:21:50 AM1/7/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Pankaj Dr. Rashid introduced me to this platform..the plants on the
tufts are Saussurea gnaphalodes (Asteraceae)

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 7, 2011, 12:46:57 AM1/7/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot doc for the info. I am really fascinated by these Saussureas!!
I am really happy to see more and more professional taxonomists in the group.
Keep posting.
Regards
Pankaj

Satish Phadke

Jan 7, 2011, 5:42:02 AM1/7/11
to amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Amit ji
Thanks for posting this great shot. I was wondering about the flowering plants on it.These seem to be different species as clarified by you in the thread later.
By the way please re-size your image to less than 150k before sending to group.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 7, 2011, 11:26:05 PM1/7/11
to Satish Phadke, amit chauhan, indian...@googlegroups.com
Amit ji
Slight correction. It is Thylacospermum caespitosum (Camb.) Schischkin (syn: Arenaria rupifraga (Kar. & Kir.) Fenzl).

I have travelled a lot in Ladakh but incidentally not seen this plant. Thanks for showing this rare plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

amit