Ranunculaceae week: Oxygraphis polypetala Hook.f. & Thomson

Pankaj Kumar

May 3, 2011, 9:33:19 PM5/3/11
to indiantreepix
Oxygraphis polypetala (Royle) Hook.f. & Thomson Fl. Ind. i. 27. 1855.

Basionym: Ranunculus polypetalus Royle Ill. Bot. Himal. Mts. 54. t.
11. f. 2. 1839.
Type: T. Thomson s.n., [NYBG]
Location: In Peer Panjal Range near Rohtang Pass, Himachal Pradesh.
Date: 15.06.2008
Camera used: Sony cybershot
Elevation: >4000m

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide41.JPG
PROTOLOGUE Oxygraphis polypetalus 54.jpg
PROTOLOGUE Oxygraphis polypetalus t 11 f 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2011, 1:00:07 AM5/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Pankaj ji
Really nice photograph and back up literature

I hope this episode also helps in identifying this perhaps another related plant unidentified at FOI, , which unlike Ranunculus has more than 5 (mostly 6) petals and nearly circular leaves with deeply cordate base and crenate margins.
   To me this unidentified plant appears to be Ranunculus sarmentosus Adams, placed in distinct genus Halerpestes (6-10 petals) and names H. sarmentosa, but treated as synonym of Ranunculus cymbalariae Pursh. in Revision of Indian Ranunculus:

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

May 4, 2011, 2:13:47 AM5/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot for the compliments.
Are you talking about TW549 on FOI unidentified list?
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2011, 2:16:30 AM5/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Yes, it is lying unidentified for a long time.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

May 4, 2011, 2:29:09 AM5/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Respected Sir,
With flowers I dont mind calling that plant as Ranunculus cymbalariae,
but leaves are pretty different. This is reported from Sikkim
according to the reference. But as you say the number of petals. I
imagine if I have any other option. He does state that the species is
highly variable.
Leaf matches well with Ranunculus stewartii.
Regards
Pankaj