Cynoglossum lanceolatum from Kashmir and Chakrata

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 25, 2011, 10:57:06 PM9/25/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, TANAY BOSE
Cynoglossum lanceolatum Forssk., Fl. Aegypt.-Arab. 41. 1775.
Syn: C. micranthum Desf.

The species is quite distinct in its pale blue or white much smaller flowers hardly 2-2.5 mm across, lanceolate leaves, covered both with bulbous based hairs and simple hairs and uniformly bristly nutlets
In closely related C. zeylanicum (syn: C. furcatum Wall. ex Roxb.) flowers are larger (5-6 mm across) and leaves covered with soft appressed hairs.

Photographed from near Tapiana Sahib Gurdwara in Sialkot near Baramulla in July

I have a feeling that plant depicted on FOI as C. zeylonicum may in fact be Myosotis sp and not a cynnoglossum as nutlets in lowers old flowers seem to be totally hidden.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Dakpathar-1.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Dakpathar-2.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Dakpathar-3.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Tapiana-Sialkot-Kashmir-1.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Tapiana-Sialkot-Kashmir-2.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Tapiana-Sialkot-Kashmir-3.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Tapiana-Sialkot-Kashmir-4.jpg
Cynoglossum-lanceolatum-Tapiana-Sialkot-Kashmir-5.jpg

Neha Singh

Sep 26, 2011, 1:00:29 AM9/26/11
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan Sir I photographed the same species in Mulshi, a few days
back. I did posted here ( For ID 190911 NS1) but identification was
not confirmed.
Thanks for these pics ,information and identification.

Regards
Neha Singh

Balkar Arya

Sep 26, 2011, 4:31:19 AM9/26/11
to Neha Singh, efloraofindia
Nice Sir
I think you are going to show a full series on Cynoglossum Also
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat