Acanthaceae Week: Karun Kurinji flowers Strobilanthus lupulina from Kakkabbe forest hill

raghu ananth

Jun 12, 2011, 11:04:44 AM6/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Came across these purple blooms in the forest hills of Kakkabbe-Nalnad. They appear to be a Karun  Kurinji flowers Strobilanthus lupulina .
Syn Strobilanthes heyneanus
 (The famed Nila-kurinji Strobilanthes kunthiana flowers are by nature plietesials - blooms once in 12 years. )

Native Shrub

Habitat Forest hills, forest path,
Place: Betweeen Kakkabbe-Nalnad and Thadiandamol, coorg, Part of western ghats, Karnataka
Date: Sep 03 2009

Regards

Raghu
DSC_5555.jpg
DSC_5556.jpg
DSC_5557.jpg
DSC_5558.jpg
DSC_5559.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jun 12, 2011, 9:44:23 PM6/12/11
to efloraofindia
wonderful... never saw the blue flowers... that turn the hills blue,
is what I have been told... a sight to see...
I am hoping to train for the hills by the time the next show comes
along...

in the meantime I'll enjoy these...
Usha di
======.