Rubus for ID 290411MK2

Muthu Karthick

Apr 29, 2011, 7:41:31 AM4/29/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this stragler found in the forests of Nilgiris. I also recorded this in forest patches of Kodaikanal. Is this any Rubus species?

Date/Time-

10-04-2011 / 09:00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2000asl; Kotagiri, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

forest edges [weed]

Plant Habit-

thorny straggler

Height/Length-

1 - 2 m long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.15 x 8 cm; 3-foliolate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

c. 15cm long; racemes

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

yellow; c. 2.5 cm across

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Rubus (5).jpg
Rubus.jpg
Rubus (1).jpg
Rubus (2).jpg
Rubus (3).jpg
Rubus (4).jpg

Ushadi micromini

Apr 29, 2011, 12:29:18 PM4/29/11
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Muthuji: did you see any ripe berries? what color did they end up?
edible?

Usha di
==========

On Apr 29, 4:41 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Please help to id this stragler found in the forests of Nilgiris. I also

> recorded this in forest patches of Kodaikanal. Is this any *Rubus* species?
>
>  *Date/Time-*

> 10-04-2011 / 09:00 AM
>

> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.2000asl; Kotagiri, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> forest edges [weed]
>
> *Plant Habit-*
> thorny straggler
>
> *Height/Length-*

> 1 - 2 m long
>

> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*

> ca.15 x 8 cm; 3-foliolate
>

> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> c. 15cm long; racemes
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*

> yellow; c. 2.5 cm across
>

> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
> *
> *

> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 0091 96268 33911www.careearthtrust.org
>

>  Rubus (5).jpg
> 162KViewDownload
>
>  Rubus.jpg
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  Rubus (1).jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  Rubus (2).jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  Rubus (3).jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  Rubus (4).jpg
> 211KViewDownload

manudev madhavan

Apr 30, 2011, 6:16:35 AM4/30/11
to Ushadi micromini, Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Could this be Rubus ellipticus??
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Muthu Karthick

May 2, 2011, 2:50:46 AM5/2/11
to manudev madhavan, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I have not noticed any fruits in this plant Ushaji and yes the fruits are edible (local people consume)

Ritesh Choudhary

May 2, 2011, 2:56:43 AM5/2/11
to efloraofindia
Yes! Rubus ellipticus from me too.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Muthu Karthick

May 2, 2011, 6:44:29 AM5/2/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Dear all,
Thank you very much for the id. This plant is Rubus ellipticus Smith of Rosaceae. I will try to upload the pictures of fruits soon.

manudev madhavan

May 2, 2011, 6:55:51 AM5/2/11
to Muthu Karthick, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Muthuji..
please cross check..
according to the "Plantlist" there are 3 varieties for this species..

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 12:04:38 AM5/29/11
to manudev madhavan, Muthu Karthick, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia

Yes Rubus ellipticus

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

May 29, 2011, 11:02:47 AM5/29/11
to efloraofindia
Dr. Oudhia and others:
I have a question for Dr Oudhia or any body that may know:

In urban ethnobotany in vicinity of NYC immigrant women and Herbalists
from established euopean descent or native groups use infusions of
rubus spp as a uterine tonic esp in preganancy...

MY QUESTION:
since this grows abundantly in the uttarachanchal , foot of the
himalyas etc.... do local herbalists, old wives tales list this leaf
for similar use?

Usha di
=======

On May 29, 9:04 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Rubus ellipticus
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297 Mob: 9810359089http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM, manudev madhavan <manudevkmadha...@gmail.com
>
> > wrote:
> > Muthuji..
> > please cross check..
> > according to the "*Plantlist*" there are 3 varieties for this species..
>
> > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear all,
> >> Thank you very much for the id. This plant is *Rubus ellipticus* Smith of
> >> Rosaceae. I will try to upload the pictures of fruits soon.

> >> --
> >> Muthu Karthick, N
> >> Care Earth Trust
> >> #15, second main road,
> >> Thillai ganga nagar,
> >> Chennai - 600 061
> >> Mob: 0091 96268 33911
> >>www.careearthtrust.org
>
> > --
> > *Manudev K Madhavan*

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 11:56:15 AM5/29/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di
I may not not know that, but growing very commonly in California is a species of Rubus which is commonly known as Himalayan blackberry commonly sold in stores as blackberry and favourite of Americans for its large nearly 2-2.5 cm size fruits, relished as much as strawberry. This was earlier named as Rubus procerus or R. fruticosus, believed to have been introduced from India. Recently it has been correctly identified to be an Armenian species R. armeniacus (syn: R. procerus auct (non Muell.) Focke and now also goes under the name of Armenian blackberry, but name himalayan blackberry sticks.

Incidently the R.fruticosus growing in Kashmir and some other parts of Himalayas is also a distinct species R. ulmifolius.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

May 29, 2011, 1:02:08 PM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurucharan ji:
yes the himalayan blackberry is known in the northeastern states simply as black raspberry... starts as red and turns black as it ripens....quite sweet when ripest...   there are several patches where they grow naturally, we try to keep them a secret along our walking paths in the wilderness, so that we may occasionally enjoy a sweet snack if hungry on the trail...
great fun...
Usha di

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 1:11:03 PM5/29/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
And they were originally introduced in California to keep off the animals and intruders from orchards and farmland, usually used as fences because of their strong sharp prickles.