Information-Porteresia coarctata

Joshi Pankaj

Dec 20, 2010, 7:43:18 AM12/20/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All members,
I would like to have a some more information on Porteresia coarctata -a Poaceae
member.
Like distribution and ecological aspect etc.
Regards.

Pankaj
Pankaj N. Joshi, Ph.D
Scientist
Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE)
Post Box # 83, Opp. Changleshwar Temple,
Mundra Road, Bhuj- Kachchh
Gujarat: 370 001 (India)
Phone: +91 2832 235025, 329408; Fax: 235027
Cell: +91 94269 49523
Optional E-mail: pranav...@rediffmail.com

J.M. Garg

Apr 7, 2011, 8:07:20 AM4/7/11
to efloraofindia, Joshi Pankaj

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2011, 8:57:36 AM7/16/11
to efloraofindia, Joshi Pankaj

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Jul 17, 2011, 12:54:16 AM7/17/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Joshi Pankaj
Dear Joshi ji, I hope the attached paper will be of use to you.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi
Aquat_Bot_84_37.pdf

manoj chandran

Jan 10, 2014, 9:12:38 AM1/10/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, josh...@yahoo.com
Porteresia coarctata (Oryza coarctata) is a relative of Oryza (rice) found in mangrove areas in the intertidal zones in coastal areas. The best population is in Sundarbans of Bengal and Bhitarkanika of Orrisa. It is saline tolerant and can tolerate water logging also. I have not yet seen it in mangroves of Kerala. May be more exploration is required to find out the distribution of this species. This species is used widely in labs for hybridisation with Oryza sativa and also for transfer of saline tolerant genes to cultivated rice varieties.