Ipomoea for ID : 280511 : AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

May 28, 2011, 3:41:14 AM5/28/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Munnar, Kerala on the 21st of Oct,2008.
Aarti
DSCN6361-Munnar.JPG
DSCN6363-Munnar.JPG

amit chauhan

May 28, 2011, 4:46:58 AM5/28/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Hi,

Is it Ipomea tricolor.

regards

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2011, 7:30:25 AM5/28/11
to amit chauhan, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Ipomoea tricolor I think has mostly entire leaves. This could be I. indica, but only lateral close up of flower showing showing  calyx  should help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

May 28, 2011, 2:56:46 PM5/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, amit chauhan, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Ipomoea nil

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2011, 9:49:40 PM5/28/11
to H S, amit chauhan, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Yes, I nil is also possible. calyx would help

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Aarti S. Khale

May 29, 2011, 1:41:49 AM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, HS ji and Amit ji,
Thanks for all efforts taken in identifying the Ipomoea
Found one more picture taken at the same place on 21st Oct,2008 at Munnar.
Could this be of any help?
Regards,
Aarti

On 5/29/11, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I nil is also possible. calyx would help
>

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297 Mob: 9810359089
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

DSCN6356.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 2:19:22 AM5/29/11
to Aarti S. Khale, H S, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
would go with Ipomoea indica

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

May 29, 2011, 4:45:14 AM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
Yes sirji
even i get confuse between I. indica and I. nil.. flower look exactly similar.. May leaves shape help..

regards

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 5:31:08 AM5/29/11
to H S, Aarti S. Khale, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
The main feature of distinction is calyx lobes. in I. indica calyx lobes are 10-20 mm long, ovate-lanceolate and long acuminate, pubescent or glabrous. In I. nil sepals are 15-25 mm long, narrowly lanceolate, tapering into long tip and more importantly long hirsute especially near base.
  In fact I. hederacea is very close to I. nil, but tips of calyx calyx lobes in fruit are straight in I nil, but curved to one side or recurved in I. hederacea.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

May 29, 2011, 5:37:30 AM5/29/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
Thanks sir ji for the information..
i have not seen I. hederacea,, can you please upload foto if you have..

regards

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2011, 5:48:51 AM5/29/11
to H S, Aarti S. Khale, amit chauhan, efloraofindia
perhaps we should not worry about that now.  I. hederacea Jacq. was recognised in eFlora of pakistan, but now both I. hederacea Jacq. and I. hederacea Baker & Rendle have been merged with I. nil.