Garden Flower for ID : Kenya : 200611 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

Jun 20, 2011, 11:51:11 AM6/20/11
to efloraofindia
Taken on the 1st of Feb,2009 at Nairobi,Kenya.
A garden plant,cultivated having medium height of about 2-3 feet.
Aarti
DSCN7819.JPG
DSCN7820.JPG

Ushadi micromini

Jun 20, 2011, 11:56:27 PM6/20/11
to efloraofindia
Aarti ji: it seeks this is one of the many hybrids of DAHLIA....

usha di
------
>  DSCN7819.JPG
> 138KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN7820.JPG
> 234KViewDownload

Aarti S. Khale

Jun 21, 2011, 12:36:43 PM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com, tab...@gmail.com
Dear Usha Di,
I thought I had identified this flower but found two similar looking
ones on flowersofindia site.So I'm a bit confused and thought of
taking help from our expert friends.
One is Rudbeckia laciniata, the other is Heliopsis
helianthoides...which one is this?
Probably Tabish ji can help.
Regards,
Aarti

On Jun 21, 7:56 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > 234KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Ushadi micromini

Jun 21, 2011, 2:56:40 PM6/21/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Dear Aarti: by all means lets see what the experts have to say....
did you originally identify it as a Dahlia?

Rudbeckia laciniata: is a cone flower.... your flower /this does not
look like a cone flower , too many petals in multiple whorls....
although the leaves may be similar to coneflower's perhaps...

Heliopsis helianthoides : is also an aster family, you flower again
has too many petals whorls...
most of the heliopsis I know have one or at the most two whorls of
petals...

unless your flower is a new cultivar off either one of these...

My rule is when in doubt check out Herbarium specimen from reputed
herbaria...
heres a link from FSU:
http://herbarium.bio.fsu.edu/view-image.php?Image=images/herbarium/jpegs/000047350.jpg&ImageType=jpeg

and for heliopsis helianthoides ...again look at the leaf anatomy...
very different from yours...
at this site...http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detail.asp?
SpCode=HELHEL

and now for DAHLIA... see pg 18 of this pdf from Harvard edu site ...
for the leaf pattern/anatomy
arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1705.pdf

look at the leaf... compare with your own...
why leaf... because the flower may not have fully opened to show the
typical cone of a coneflower or the central green/brownish green disk
of the heliopsis yet...
--
hope it helps...
and lets see what the elders have to note...

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 21, 2011, 11:51:59 PM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
I think this is a Chrysanthemum species, exact species out of my mind but I have seen it flowering in our house in Kashmir,interesting because it grows very tall and produces flowers late in November December. I can still see some plants in my house here. The new branches sprount every year in March and flowering occurs towards the end of autumn.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aarti S. Khale

Jun 22, 2011, 3:01:33 AM6/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
Please check for Coneflower or Ragged Coneflower and Heliopsis
Ballerina on flowersofindia site.
I found them similar looking, but have to find the right one.
Aarti

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 24, 2011, 10:03:32 AM6/24/11
to Aarti S. Khale, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Aarti ji
Heliopsis helianthoides 'Ballerina', the false sunflower

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Aarti S. Khale

Jun 25, 2011, 1:37:53 AM6/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Usha di,
Thanks for all efforts taken in identifying this one.

Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for confirming the id.
Regards,
Aarti

On 6/24/11, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Aarti ji
> *Heliopsis helianthoides 'Ballerina', the false sunflower*
> *
> *

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 18, 2012, 12:46:58 PM11/18/12
to Aarti S. Khale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Garg ji
Please make necessary changes in the database.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Aarti S. Khale <aarti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the correction Gurcharan ji.
I will make the necessary corrections.
I will post a similar looking one from Pahalgam.
Regards,
Aarti

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Aarti ji

This plant of you is actually Rudbeckia laciniata 'Goldquelle', as is also mine from Kashmir. Heliopsis leaves or smple and not cut or lobed as in this case.

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

May 15, 2016, 10:21:59 AM5/15/16
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Gurcharan Singh
This plant is actually Rudbeckia laciniata 'Goldquelle', as is also mine from Kashmir. Heliopsis leaves or smple and not cut or lobed as in this case- as per Gurcharan Singh ji.
Thanks, Singh ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

DSCN7819.JPG
DSCN7820.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

May 15, 2016, 10:30:00 AM5/15/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Gurcharan Ji, Garg Ji,
Thanks.
Aarti