identification no011011sn1

Satish Nikam

Oct 1, 2011, 8:56:51 AM10/1/11
to Indiantrees Pics
Dear All,
             Please tell me which Habenaria sp. is this.?
date/time:aug11
location:mulshi,pune
habitat:wild
plant habit:herb
height:tiny,about 9" from the ground
leaves:--
thanks
regards
satish nikam

IMG_6111-r.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 1, 2011, 9:03:36 AM10/1/11
to efloraofindia
Looks like Habenaria rariflora but leaves needed to confirm.
Pankaj
>  IMG_6111-r.jpg
> 45KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Oct 1, 2011, 9:50:30 AM10/1/11
to Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
Satish Ji
You had sent a query few days back for similar looking flower.
[efloraofindia:78188] This flower also looks same.
Habenaria grandifloriformis

Since you come from Western ghats I would like to tell you a general observation.
Habenaria grandifloriformis and Habenaria rariflora flowers look very similar and even a hard core taxonomist also woudn't dare to ID between the two without looking at the leaves.
I just typed the word 'grandifloriformis' in my search mail window. I received some 11 odd mails as follows.
11July Prashant [efloraofindia:40891]
14 July Ajinkya [efloraofindia:43129]
18Jul Prashant [efloraofindia:43131]
10Aug       Anantnarayan [efloraofindia:43972]
22Sep Bhatt Swetta [efloraofindia:47965]
20Jul    Neil Soares [efloraofindia:74579]
8Aug Chaitanya Rajarshi [efloraofindia:76360]
24 Jul Rohit Chakravarty [efloraofindia:80214]
Most of these Habenaria grandifloriformis were observed in Jun Jul i.e.Ashadh that's why it is called as Ashadh amari  आषाढ अमरी which is much much more common than Habenaria rariflora which must be uncommon as I have yet to see this. Out of the above only the plant posted by Rohit Chakravarty is H.rariflora. If you have leaves it can be easily distinguished.
Regards
Dr Phadke
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Balkar Arya

Oct 1, 2011, 10:22:22 AM10/1/11
to Satish Phadke, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
Good Research Satish Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

H S

Oct 2, 2011, 5:07:32 AM10/2/11
to Balkar Arya, Satish Phadke, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
i guess H. grandifloriformis.... but ya as Dr. Pankaj said leaf foto required to confirm.

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone