Climber For ID from Mussoorie

Nidhan Singh

Dec 24, 2010, 6:38:05 PM12/24/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All,
Accept my heartiest wishes for Christmas and for a great great new year.

Work please.......... This climber was found in Mussoorie, near a
famous park (I'm sorry for forgetting the name) in the month of August
2010.
Thanks

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Cucubit Mussoorie.JPG
Cucubit Mussoorie (1).JPG
Cucubit Mussoorie (2).JPG

tanay bose

Dec 24, 2010, 7:24:25 PM12/24/10
to Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
Momordica charantia this is small variety of bitter gourd found we call it "Ucche" in Bengali

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Dec 24, 2010, 7:48:05 PM12/24/10
to tanay bose, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
It was Company Bagh/Municipal Garden i Think

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

formp...@yahoo.com

Dec 26, 2010, 10:10:44 AM12/26/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh
In kannada ucche means Urine.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:24:25 -0800
To: Nidhan Singh<nidhans...@gmail.com>
Cc: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:57895] Climber For ID from Mussoorie

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 31, 2010, 11:07:27 PM12/31/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh
The above plant is not Momordica charantia. It is rather Cyclanthera pedata often sold in Indian markets (especially Sikkim, Manali, etc.) under the name Karela (once uploaded by Nabha ji under the name Meetha Karela. I had uploaded this from Manali (digitately lobed leaves and smaller white flowers are characteristic):

 May be confused but distinct from the real Meetha Karela Momordica dioica. Momordica has much larger usually yellow flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

ulachungpa

Jan 1, 2011, 3:38:12 AM1/1/11
to efloraofindia
Yes it is Cyclanthera pedata.
We call it 'Chhuchey Karela' due to the fruit having a pointed curved
tip (Chhuchey in Nepali) in Sikkim.
It is not at all bitter or sweet, but makes quite a tasty vegetable
(fruits and even tender leaves)

Relevant threads below by Gurcharanji.

Usha