Sundari

Arijit Banerjee

Apr 19, 2011, 11:47:42 PM4/19/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Heritiera fomes in flower
Sunderbans

Arijit Banerjee
16 4 sundari pana cs4 mac.jpg

Mahadeswara

Apr 20, 2011, 8:42:28 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia
Sundarban gets its name from sundari trees (Heritiera fomes)!
>  16 4 sundari pana cs4 mac.jpg
> 281KViewDownload

Arijit Banerjee

Apr 22, 2011, 3:17:38 AM4/22/11
to renee vyas vyas, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ms. Vyas,

It was 1988, when I had for the last time studied plant morphology/ taxonomy with any degree of attention (rather minimal frankly) as a student of M.Sc. It has been a while and my consequent erosion of knowledge may please be excused.

Heritiera fomes, Sundari which is a keystone species of the Ganga Brahmaputra delta, has a smaller fruit with smaller wings when compared to fruits of H littoralis, which is a species from the Andamans. The fruit in the latter has large and prominent wings and the larger fruit, oval, elongated and laterally flattened is much different from Sundari. This is what I gathered from a friend and colleague who is a taxonomist (practicing).

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Arijit

On 21 April 2011 19:42, renee vyas vyas <renee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Arijitji,

Very nice pictures.....I have a question.....is Heritiera littoralis different specie then Heritiera fomes?

Regards,

Renee