fruits and vegetables

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 12:43:32 PM1/3/11
to indiantreepix
Pls help in the identification.
This picture was taken in Coorg on 17th Aug 2010.
Is it by any chance Garcinia (kokam)

--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 12:52:16 PM1/3/11
to indiantreepix
pls help in the identification of this fruit.
Pic taken in Bangalore on 21 Nov 2010
Ramphal_2614.JPG

raju

Jan 3, 2011, 12:57:00 PM1/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Sir,
Are these two pics from the same plant? Is the second one directly
coming from the ground? Because it look like member of Zingiberaceae
(Z zerumbet?). It is just a wild guess.Let wait for others

Raju Das

On Jan 3, 10:43 pm, Inderjeet Sethi <ikseth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pls help in the identification.
> This picture was taken in Coorg on 17th Aug 2010.
> Is it by any chance *Garcinia* (kokam)
>
> --
> ~ik~
> Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi
> Associate Professor
> Department of Botany
> SGTB Khalsa College
> University of Delhi
> Delhi-110007
> M: 9818775237
>
>  IMG_2136.JPG
> 62KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_2137.JPG
> 60KViewDownload

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 1:00:18 PM1/3/11
to indiantreepix
Capsicum annum (Solanaceae).
Fruits are used for making pickle.
These particular fruits are infected with 'ripe rot of chillies' caused by Colletotrichum capsici.
Infected fruits collected from a vegetable market in Delhi.
Plate 24.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 3, 2011, 1:03:38 PM1/3/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Nice one Inderjeet ji I have worked with this fungi this is really a worst pathogen for chilli, capsicum e.tc
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 1:19:04 PM1/3/11
to indiantreepix

Leh Berry (Seabuckthorn) Bot. name: Hippophae rhamnoides

Photo taken in Leh, Ladakh in September 4, 2009.

Nubra Valley, Ladakh is covered with dense thickets of seabuckthorn - a thorny shrub which is eaten by double hump camels. These bushes are found above 9000 feet.

Leh Berry juice has been reported to contains 100 nutrients, 8 vitamins, 24 minerals and 18 amino acids & the fruit is considered to have anti-ageing properties, enhances body endurance and improves memory.

Hippophae rhamnoides.JPG
Hippophae rhamnoides_0983.JPG

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 3, 2011, 1:24:45 PM1/3/11
to indiantreepix
Apples from Leh, Ladhakh.
Pics taken in September 2009.
apple_1083.JPG

Vijayasankar

Jan 3, 2011, 2:39:44 PM1/3/11
to raju, efloraofindia
In the absence of flower, i guess the IMG 2136 as Costus pictus (insulin plant?).
IMG 2137 could be Costus dubius.
And the Ramphal_2614 looks like Annona cherimola.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

tanay bose

Jan 3, 2011, 8:13:51 PM1/3/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Thats a nice set of information for Leh berries
tanay

sheetal chaudhari

Jan 4, 2011, 5:29:37 AM1/4/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Is this some Annona sp??
Sheetal

If you look at what you do not have in life, you don't have anything,
If you look at what you have in life, you have everything...

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 4, 2011, 10:38:28 AM1/4/11
to Vijayasankar, raju, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijaysankar ji,
This is Costa indica according to one of my colleagues (botanist). This plant was growing in her farm. Pls confirm.
Thanks for identification of ramphal.

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 4, 2011, 10:41:23 AM1/4/11
to Vijayasankar, raju, efloraofindia
Sorry it is Costus indica according to my botanist friend.

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 4, 2011, 10:43:35 AM1/4/11
to tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thanks Tanay.

Vijayasankar

J.M. Garg

Apr 16, 2011, 12:30:03 PM4/16/11
to efloraofindia, Inderjeet Sethi, Vijayasankar Raman, raju das, msa...@rediffmail.com, msa...@yahoo.in

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Are these two pics from the same plant? Is the second one directly

coming from the ground? Because it look like member of Zingiberaceae
(Z zerumbet?). It is just a wild guess.Let wait for others

Raju Das”

“In the absence of flower, i guess the IMG 2136 as Costus pictus (insulin plant?).
IMG 2137 could be Costus dubius. ” from Vijayasankar ji.

“This is Costus indica according to one of my colleagues (botanist). This plant was growing in her farm. Pls confirm. ” from Sethi ji.

"I am not aware of such species, ji. I think your friend meant Costus igneus.
Regards
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2011, 1:39:38 AM4/17/11
to efloraofindia, Inderjeet Sethi, Vijayasankar Raman, raju das, msa...@rediffmail.com, msa...@yahoo.in
A reply:
"The first without flower it is difficult to identify. There are so many like this.
The second one is Costus dubious.
Regards
sABU
Thanks for reading this mail.
With best regards
Dr.M.Sabu
Reader
Taxonomy and Floristics Division
Department of Botany
Calicut University
Kerala 673635, India."

Mahadeswara

Apr 17, 2011, 7:54:29 AM4/17/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, efloraofindia
Yes it is Ramphal ( Annona reticulata). It is a common tree
(small) or a big shrub in Bangalore, Mysore and other Southern Indian
localities. The fruit becomes pinkish red on ripening.