DV :: 30MAR11 - 0352 :: fruiting tree at Kodagu Valley Resort

Dinesh Valke

Apr 15, 2011, 4:55:40 AM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please.

A medium-sized tree (most probably planted, could be wild).

Date/Time
: March 30, 2011 at 3.52pm IST
Location Place : at Kodagu Valley Resort, Coorg, Karnataka ... 12.441011, 75.716247 on Google maps
Altitude : 3704 ft (above mean sea level)

Regards.
Dinesh
P1360047.JPG
P1360035.JPG
P1360039.JPG
P1360040.JPG
P1360044.JPG
P1360045.JPG
P1360046.JPG

sheetal chaudhari

Apr 16, 2011, 9:10:34 AM4/16/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
May be Some Ficus sp

Regards,

Sheetal

harithasandhya

Apr 17, 2011, 1:24:04 AM4/17/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh,
I presume this to be a Litsaea sp. Family Lauraceae. I had seen a
similar species (could be the same one) in the wild recently. I will
send the photograph later. It was quite common and the trees were full
of fruits.
Regards,
Sandhya

On Apr 15, 1:55 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> ID please.
>
> A medium-sized tree (most probably planted, could be wild).
>
> Date/Time : March 30, 2011 at 3.52pm IST
> Location Place : at Kodagu Valley Resort, Coorg, Karnataka ... 12.441011,
> 75.716247 on Google maps <http://goo.gl/maps/HGyT>
> Altitude : 3704 ft (above mean sea level)
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>
>  P1360047.JPG
> 150KViewDownload
>
>  P1360035.JPG
> 159KViewDownload
>
>  P1360039.JPG
> 168KViewDownload
>
>  P1360040.JPG
> 166KViewDownload
>
>  P1360044.JPG
> 151KViewDownload
>
>  P1360045.JPG
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  P1360046.JPG
> 205KViewDownload

Mahadeswara

Apr 17, 2011, 8:11:47 AM4/17/11
to efloraofindia
Probably Litsea monopetala.Tamil: picinpattai , Kannada:
gajapippali, hemmudi. Flowers will confirm.

On Apr 15, 1:55 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> ID please.
>
> A medium-sized tree (most probably planted, could be wild).
>
> Date/Time : March 30, 2011 at 3.52pm IST
> Location Place : at Kodagu Valley Resort, Coorg, Karnataka ... 12.441011,
> 75.716247 on Google maps <http://goo.gl/maps/HGyT>
> Altitude : 3704 ft (above mean sea level)
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh

Hemanth

Apr 17, 2011, 9:45:56 AM4/17/11
to efloraofindia
It looks like Litsea floribunda
it is lauraceae for sure...
Dinesh ji...good catch
> > 205KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Vijayasankar

Apr 17, 2011, 2:46:49 PM4/17/11
to Hemanth, efloraofindia
Yes, it does look like Litsea floribunda, popularly known as 'Nara mamidi' in Telugu. It is a Red Listed medicinal plant.
http://www.biotik.org/india/species/l/litsflor/litsflor_09_en.html

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Apr 18, 2011, 12:38:44 AM4/18/11
to Vijayasankar, Hemanth, efloraofindia
Many many thanks Sheetal, Sandhya, Mahadeswara ji, Hemanth and Vijayasankar ji.
From your responses, Litsea for sure, tentatively L. floribunda.

Regards.
Dinesh

Hemant Tripathi

Apr 18, 2011, 2:27:00 AM4/18/11
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia

Litsea floribunda 90%

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2011, 9:47:37 AM11/12/11
to Hemant Tripathi, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Identified as Litsea wightiana var. tomentosa as per another thread http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/caf93fa1e7f80add?hl=en_IN#
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1740 members & 90,000 messages on 31/10/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

Giby Kuriakose

Nov 12, 2011, 9:59:10 AM11/12/11
to J.M. Garg, Hemant Tripathi, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, harithasandhya, navendu page
Dear Sandhya,

Would you please let me know the altitude at which you have photographed this plant. At lease place name, I shall get the altitude.
I think it is on the way to the dam site! Am I correct?

It is most probably Litsea floribunda to me.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Giby Kuriakose

Nov 16, 2011, 12:58:55 AM11/16/11
to Sandhya Sasidharan, indiantreepix
It is L. floribunda. The leaf venation is typical. In L. wightiana, the leaf venation is more different.
Please refer@
Giby

On 16 November 2011 10:12, Sandhya Sasidharan <haritha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Giby,
I think the altitude is roughly between 900 and 1000m. Hope this will suffice. I took the photographs since it was full of fruits but did not closely observe the floral features. Next time I will.
Regards,
Sandhya

Nov 18, 2011, 10:54:21 AM11/18/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Sandhya Sasidharan, indiantreepix
Many many thanks Giby ji for the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh.