Portulaca

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 5, 2011, 2:32:40 AM6/5/11
to indiantreepix, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
One of the few multi-coloured flowers which blooms in summer. Hardy but  withers in a few hours. Also no life as cut flower.
ak

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

portulaca_76.jpg
portulaca_1.jpg
portulaca_3.jpg
portulaca_5.jpg
portulaca_8.jpg
portulaca_9.jpg
portulaca_10.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 5, 2011, 3:26:27 AM6/5/11
to indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
commonly called as China rose.
dont know why?
i had seen them in magenta and white as welll as both mixed colours. not so many.
Of course Portlica i have seen in all these colours
Thank you AK jiMadhuri

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2011, 4:13:09 AM6/5/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
Portulaca grandiflora
I know about these names, but wonder if it is called as China rose (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)

eleven-o'clockMexican-rosemoss-roserose-moss

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Chile

Jun 5, 2011, 7:43:52 AM6/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
Gurucharan ji, In my school going age local gardener also revealed me the name "Cheeni Gulab" for the same flower. But as a botanist I came to know the "Cheeni Gulab" is not the "China Rose". "Cheeni Gula" is eleven-o'clock, Mexican-rose, moss-rose, rose-moss and "China Rose" is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Here also laymen call Portulaca grandiflora as "Cheeni Gulab" in hindi and "China Rose" in English
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

mani nair

Jun 5, 2011, 8:01:22 AM6/5/11
to Satish Chile, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
Anand ji, beautiful flowers.   These flowers are also known by the name  "Office time"
as the flowers usually  open at 9.00 a.m. and closes at 5.00 p.m.

Regards,

Mani

Ushadi micromini

Jun 5, 2011, 9:29:04 AM6/5/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear All: in our chilhood, we used to call it 4 o'clock flower....our
nuns teachers said that's what it was, it closed promptly at 4 pm in
Calcutta, in our school gardens.... go figure!!!
Usha di

---------

Balkar Arya

Jun 5, 2011, 10:00:39 AM6/5/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Yes Gurcharan Ji Portulaca grandiflora we called this "DIN KI RANI" locally
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2011, 10:52:22 AM6/5/11
to Balkar Arya, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
And eleven-o'clock plant because the flowers open around that time. That is true also of some other species of this genus. Last year I remember, there was some confusion about the colour of flowers of Portulaca quadrifida, my colleague saying it has reddish flowers, whereas I knew it with yellow flowers. We collected the plant at 8 a m when it had only buds which looked pinkish. We brought to to College, kept in the lab in sunny area and asked the lab attendant to inform us when it first flowers. He came running to me just at 11 a m informing that it has flowered, and we saw open flower with yellow petals.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Jun 5, 2011, 11:15:11 AM6/5/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Mr. Swamy:

yes, aren't regional differences interesting....
 Mirabilis jalapa is called SONDHHA (as in Sandhya) Maloti (as in Malati) in Bengali,  I have them growing wild/naturalised all over the south calcutta unkempt places.. and some have invaded my lawn (which is not unkempt, by any means)... though I must admire its scent... it becomes a nuisance, produces zillions of large black seeds..... I have also grown them in my  apartment balcony in  different continents,  both yellow and deep pink/magenta , they must hybridize very easily, because the seeds I saved for the following summer grew pink and the combination as in pink and yellow striped variety only.... no yellow flowers ever came up for a few years in succession... I recently saw miles of linear collection, as in growing along narrow stretch of soil along footpaths along the ganges /Bhagirathi near Murshidabad... all yellow... no pink....not a single pink flower....

ushadi

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Mahadeswara <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
In  South India  some varieties ( those posted by Mr. Bhat ji) of
Portulaca are called "table rose '.
 Mirabilis jalapa (Nictaginaceae)   is commonly called 4'o clock
plant, because the flowers open in the evening.  The plant comes in
different hues  and very common in Mysore city.  They grow even wild
and there are a few varieties growing in my street.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 6, 2011, 8:31:26 AM6/6/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, indiantreepix, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Madhuri Pejaver <formp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Madhuri ji: any small version of a fruit or flower is calld chinia or chini in Hindi. Chinia kela. In the same way probably because of its size and resemblance to rose in appearance at least, portulaca is called chini gulab. This is my guess.