Re: [efloraofindia:60171] Fruits & Vegetable week - Brown cucumber? from Apulien

Na Bha

Jan 12, 2011, 12:36:17 PM1/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
These Fotos were taken in Apulien (Italy)  in Sept. 2010. The cucumber looked strange to me. never saw round ones. Just wonder, if they are Brown cucumber.
Also the aubergines are round. The third foto shows Zichorie (so the vendor).
But I have seen different zichorie.
Experts plz comment.
Regards
Nalini

Jan 12, 2011, 8:13:22 PM1/12/11
to Na Bha, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com

Nabha ji
To me the third photo does not have Zichorie (the chicory; Cichorium intybus), nor yellow cucumber. It looks like we have two types of brinjal, Zucchini (C. pepo), Mediterranean squash (C. pepo) and some cucurbit but not cucumber.

Zichorie is different:

Stores in California also have Radichhio, I will upload it separately.

Na Bha

Jan 13, 2011, 7:07:03 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Prof. Singh ji,
the fotos got mixed up.
The Foto 9233 is supposed to be Zichorie. I did not find Zichorie on the net. The Zichorie in your foto is known here as Zichorie too, it comes from Belgium, We either make salad from it with orange or Klementinen( i sent the foto yesterday) or fry alittle in Butter and just with a little salt and pepper eat it, mainly with crisp bread.
In 9232 is Brinjal in the middle, but i never saw such round ones.
In  9234 it is in the front from left to right Brinjal, Zucchini, and Dudhi ( it looked like Dudhi) ind thebeack row left is cucumber, so told me the vendor, and to the right Brinjal whick is common here.
Small Brinjal as in Maharashtra I have never seen here.

Wo what is in the foto 9233?

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 10:09:39 AM1/13/11
to Na Bha, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nabha ji

You seem to be mixing photos. 9232 has Brinjal in middle, yellow bell pepper on left and zucchini on right, cucumber-like fruit above (same as in 9233)

9233 has brinjal of two types (lower left and upper right), zucchini and mediterranean squash (and not dudhi- bottle gourd; see zucchini like cap at top but lighter colour. I am as written earlier not sure about cucumber.

9234 could be Cichorie (Chicory) the major vegetable and head lettuce on left

I hope i have connected them rightly

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor