Lichens

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 19, 2011, 12:22:43 AM1/19/11
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

This is a portion of information about lichens as food. The attached pic was taken in a local market selling masala ingredients.

Lichens for food: There are records of lichens being used as food by many different human cultures across the world.Lichens are eaten by people in North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa, and perhaps elsewhere. Often lichens are merely famine foods eaten in times of dire needs, but in some cultures lichens are a staple food or even a delicacy. Two problems often encountered with eating lichens are that they usually contain mildly toxic secondary compounds, and that lichen polysaccharides are generally indigestible to humans. Many human cultures have discovered preparation techniques to overcome these problems. Lichens are often thoroughly washed, boiled, or soaked in ash water to help remove secondary compounds.

In the past Cetraria islandica (Iceland moss) was an important human food in northern Europe and Scandinavia, and was cooked in many different ways, such as bread, porridge, pudding, soup, or salad. Bryoria fremonii was an important food in parts of North America, where it was usually pit cooked. Cladina rangiferina, or reindeer lichen , is a staple food of reindeer and caribou in the arctic. These lichens provide an important component of the ground cover grazed by animals and are also used by Laplanders to make hay for their animals. Northern peoples in North America and Siberia traditionally eat the partially digested lichen after they remove it from the rumen of caribou that have been killed. It is often called 'stomach icecream'. In India, and other centers of curry powder production, garam masala sauce contains certain lichens used as bulking agents.

Many invertebrates (insects, mites and sluges) also use lichens as food. They may also be eaten by a number of large hoofed mammals.

--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

tanay bose

Jan 19, 2011, 12:35:32 AM1/19/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Thanks Inderjeet Ji I had no idea about Lichen used as a spice in india
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 19, 2011, 12:42:39 AM1/19/11
to efloraofindia
Few excerpts

"Many female herb collectors informed that Kai (Lichen) can be used in dry from in treatment of Diarrhoea particularly in case of Diarrhoea in small children. This is considered as simple as well as useful treatment. I have mentioned in previous articles that in many parts of Chhattisgarh, Kai is used externally as aphrodisiac."

Source: http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/publish/journal.cgi?folder=journal&next=528

"SOME FORGOTTEN TRADITIONAL FORMULATIONS OF CHHATTISGARH, INDIA. 446. Undkosh Ke Sujan Ke Dawa. (The remedy for swelling in scrotum).

MAJOR INGREDIENTS: Chandan (Santalum album) wood powder and Kai (Lichen).

METHOD OF USE: Both ingredients are mixed and an aqueous paste is applied externally on affected part.

REMARKS: The use is continued till complete cure. "

Source: http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/publish/journal.cgi?folder=journal&next=2442

"In order to get more unique and secret formula, I have disclosed the use of Mucuna roots and Trombidium mite for this purpose. After long discussion, I have noted some formula and after coming back, I searched the reference literature but not got the references. According to this herb collector, during rainy season a special type of Kai (Lichen) appear on the rocks, which smell like rotten egg, is very useful in increasing the sexual desire. "

Source: http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/30_one_night.html

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 19, 2011, 1:39:58 AM1/19/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Nice new information Inderjeet and Pankaj ji
Nice photographs, Inderjeet

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 19, 2011, 9:01:15 AM1/19/11
to indiantreepix, Inderjeet Sethi
Great Information! Thanks for sharing.
So the story telling has broght out so many details about Lichens.
Nabhaji the one shown in these potographs is Dagadful. In the photo where many ingradients are shown it is the one next to green , which has been sent as isolated photo also.
Tried to get the information about sarate, could not get it,
let me see i will try and keep trying unless the name is something different.
madhuri

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 19, 2011, 10:09:51 AM1/19/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
The genera shown in the photograph appear to be sp. of Usnea and Parmelia. Pls. confirm.

Katarina

Jan 20, 2011, 2:49:14 AM1/20/11
to efloraofindia
Two small corrections from a Nordic angle of view:

1) -"In the past Cetraria islandica (Iceland moss) was an important
human food in northern Europe and Scandinavia, and was cooked in many
different ways, such as bread, porridge, pudding, soup, or salad"
By "the past" I am sure you mean at least 1600-century or earlier.
Lichens cannot have been an important everyday food item. If so the
tradition to use the lichens would still be alive at least at certain
periods of the year like christmas or easter. However I am sure that
people living "out in the bush" occasionally used the extra tummy
filling ingredient in times of famine. I would definitively prefer to
feed my raindeer and then eat the animal than eat the lichens.........
Another famine food was the pine bark(Pinus sylvestris), that finely
grounded was mixed into the fluor when making bread.

2) -"Cladina rangiferina, or reindeer lichen , is a staple food of
reindeer and caribou in the arctic. These lichens provide an important
component of the ground cover grazed by animals and are also used by
Laplanders to make hay for their animals."
NO it is not collected to be used as "hay". Definitively not to the
same extent as peolpe generally think when talking about hay. Of
course a sack filled with lichens kept the "härk" happy (the raindeer
used as the hard working guy in absense of horses or cows that would
freeze to death quite fast). The laplanders, sami-people or other
raindeer hearding groups did of course make ordinary hay if it was
possible due to their lifestyle(not by drying grasses but of the many
sedges Carex spp. growing in the arctic & subarctic) If you are
constantly moving it is not practically to carry extra loads around.

Regards from a nice and cool landscape -17,3 and sun. Cycling to work
today too......

Katarina

Inderjeet Sethi

Jan 20, 2011, 6:42:05 AM1/20/11