Capparis rheedei, wild plant of western ghats

Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Feb 18, 2011, 3:08:48 AM2/18/11
to indiantreepix
Sorry, I could not attach in the earlier 'Capparis in Jijamata Udyan' thread. This is C. rheedei DC. syn. C. heyneana Wall. that is found along streams in thick shady evergreen forests of western ghats. The branches are spinous, leaves are 10-15 cm long and flowers are 10-12 cm and pale blue. Plant in Mumbai garden differs greatly from this plant of W. ghats.

Shrikant Ingalhalikar
12 Varshanand Society
Anandnagar Sinhagad Road
Pune 411 051. www.idsahyadri.com
Tel 91 20 2435 0765.
Fax 91 20 2438 9190.
C._rheedei.jpg

Vijayasankar

Feb 18, 2011, 11:44:59 AM2/18/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
Thanks Shrikant ji, for the picture. The other species, C.brevispina, is quite different and should not be confused by the yellow band in petals, i learnt. Thanks also to Giby for distinguishing these two species.

Gamble quotes the distribution of C. brevispina as "...usually near the coast" which matches with my observation of this in sacred groves of Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest type (also inhabiting Capparis rotundifolia and C. zeylanica) near Villupuram in TN. So its presence in MH (evergreen forests?) needs to be verified i think. This sp is not dealt by Cooke.

Dinesh ji, according to Gamble there are 4 species dealt in FPM having white flowers with yellow tinge, that confused us. (pl note Shrikant ji's observation is 'pale blue' in C. rheedii, a form of cultivated one?) I would like to know from where you photographed those pictures. Like us, Wallich and Hooker were also confused this but to C. zeylanica.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Feb 18, 2011, 11:52:18 AM2/18/11
to Vijayasankar, le...@rediffmail.com, indiantreepix
Vijayasankar ji ... am assuming your query: "I would like to know from where you photographed those pictures." is addressed to Shrikant ji.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Feb 18, 2011, 1:26:54 PM2/18/11
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji, i wanted to know the habitat of plant that you photographed (flickr ones). I guess they are from MH but don't know wild or planted.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Feb 18, 2011, 1:48:42 PM2/18/11
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Vijayasankar ji ... they are all from the wild:
Sanjay Gandhi National Park,
Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary,
Karnala Bird Sanctuary,
Vaghbil,
Kharghar hills ...

Every photopage has a list of photoset(s) that the photo belongs to ... one of the photoset for sure would be the place where the plant was sighted.

Regards.
Dinesh.

Vijayasankar

Feb 18, 2011, 5:31:03 PM2/18/11
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks Dinesh ji. Noted!
So now i understand that Capparis brevispina occurs in both W.Ghats and E.Ghats, whereas, C. rheedii occurs only in W.Ghats.

Thanks & Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi