Rose apple Syzygium jambos from flower to seedlings across continents UD 08 05 2011 001

ushadi Micromini

Aug 5, 2011, 1:10:21 AM8/5/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All:
Recently we had a very short season of Rose apple in Kolkata...

Family: Myrtaceae

Syzyygium jambos Alston

Synonyms:   Eugenia jambos L.   and    Jambosa jambos Millsp.

It has an interesting small, which is best perceived when one bites into the fruit...
the seed rattles inside, and if one handles it roughly, the pale soft skin bruises easily and turns brown...

I brought some home, the first of the season got eaten rapidly, nobody would let me take pictures...

With the second set (next week) I could get some pictures and keep the seeds for my experiments...

Here's the result  in pictures...
There is imperceptible ridges on the outer skin.. size is variable from the same tree ( my vendor's own)
The fruit is hollow, thin wall...
seeds have brown skin, usually one seed with a few embroys inside ( see later)
one seed had two skin coated halves, one of which was very eager, and had started sprouting already...

Many years ago I had searched for the rose apple on the net and found Julia Morton's write up
the most complete, on reviewing these few lines intriguing and worth repeating...
I quote:
"   Fruit  : In 1849, it was announced in Bengal that the ripe fruits, with seeds removed, could be distilled 4 times to make a "rosewater" equal to the best obtained from rose petals..

Medicinal Uses: In India, the fruit is regarded as a tonic for the brain and liver. An infusion of the fruit acts as a diuretic.

A sweetened preparation of the flowers is believed to reduce fever. The seeds are employed against diarrhea, dysentery and catarrh."

....  end quote.  This whole essay can be seen at URL:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/rose_apple.html

enjoy
Usha di

Syzygium jambos 1a rose apple flowers lvs labl 003 small crop name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 1b Rose apple fruits leaves (4) small name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 2 from market DSC02307 small name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 3 fruit cut open seed measured DSC02338 small name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 4 seeds one is in two Sprouting already DSC02343 small name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 6 seedling 3weeks old DSC02790 small crop name.jpg
Syzygium jambos 7 seedlings 7 weeks old DSC04037 small crop name.jpg

Vijayasankar

Aug 5, 2011, 10:14:18 AM8/5/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Nicely illustrated....thanks Dr. Usha for showing the seeds of this, never seen so clearly.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Aug 5, 2011, 12:20:01 PM8/5/11
to Vijayasankar, ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Nice perfect presentation
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

ushadi Micromini

Aug 6, 2011, 1:31:33 PM8/6/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Across continents  in the subject line means: :
the top tree is from Northern suburbs of Los Angeles in 2010 I think, or 08...
the second is from an arboretum in orange county , southern california,
( a third tree foto not included because it was an old ptint) had been from 24 paraganas in West bengal,
and the fruits are from Baruipur area West Bengal, bought at the lake market satellite shop...
and the seedlings are in my balcony....in West Bengal
phew... seven seas, seven oceans and seven continents apart....

I might as well have been to the moon and back...

Usha di

Pudji Widodo

Aug 7, 2011, 5:41:32 AM8/7/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Usha di,

Nice article, thank you.

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Ushadi micromini

Aug 21, 2011, 6:42:38 AM8/21/11
to efloraofindia