Sharing an Dried plant seen in manmade pond.Yeoor Hills Thane MAH

Geeta Rane

Mar 3, 2011, 3:14:31 AM3/3/11
to indiantreepix
Greetings from Mumbai,
Just out of curiosity, Sharing here plant seen in a pond,
Venue: seems to be man-made pond at Garden at Yeoor Hills, Thane, Maharashtra
Date: 19thFebruary, 2011 photo taken in the noon
(note: date on photo is an error in input while changing the camera cell,FYI please, if any )

Thanks with Regards,
geeta rane

Golden Swan country club YEOOR HILLS Thane MAH PG picnic 061.JPG
Golden Swan country club YEOOR HILLS Thane MAH PG picnic 062.JPG
Golden Swan country club YEOOR HILLS Thane MAH PG picnic 063.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 3, 2011, 3:49:59 AM3/3/11
to Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
Looks like dry Pistia stratiotes to me..
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 3, 2011, 3:50:55 AM3/3/11
to Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
May be Pistia stratiotes

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Mar 3, 2011, 7:46:47 AM3/3/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
Yes dried water cabbage (Pistia stratiotes)
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Geeta Rane

Mar 3, 2011, 8:20:01 PM3/3/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, tanay...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
My Goodness, what a quick replies again, would be glad if these
photoes at least, can be of any help to group.
of course, always Glad to be here!

Courtsey: google search engine: found and checked Dineshji's flicker
album Very nice green plant, it helps with common names also as
Tanayaji mentioned : one is water cabbage,
on other sites; What I learnt that the anatomy/structure of some other
acquatic plant including Pistia;magically helps breed mosquittoes..

Extracts of the earlier discussions were in Oct,Nov2009 from our Group:

<http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/bf46cd9fab4ab118/3e340171bc072b1d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Pistia+stratiotes#3e340171bc072b1d>

<http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/fe554b57b602f524/80af4f47f4e2d526?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Pistia+stratiotes#80af4f47f4e2d526>
For ready reference, if any
Thanks