Episode on Commelinaceae

1 view

Mayur Nandikar

Jan 20, 2011, 2:59:55 AM1/20/11
to indiantreepix
Hello
             I am little bit worried about forthcoming episode on Commelinaceae, however, view suggested by Singh sir and Rashida ji is ideal one. In India Commelinaceae represented by 13 genera and about 83 species (modified after Karthikeyan et al., 1989) and we discussed major genera and common species in this forum. In addition to that in next episode we can also try to provide nomenclature, morphological and distributional record in detail for each species. Regarding India, additional allied families from order COMMELINALES viz. CommelinaceaeHaemodoraceaeHanguanaceaePhilydraceaePontederiaceae (APG II), only Commelinaceae and Pontederiaceae are represents few taxa.
             So I need few more suggestions, apart from these two families shall we add some families for next episode from our native order ZINGIBERALES Grisebach i.e. Cannaceae, CostaceaeHeliconiaceaeLowiaceaeMarantaceaeMusaceaeStrelitziaceaeZingiberaceae.
             May be combination of these two orders in next episode will be better option.
             I kindly request u to provide/ suggest needful opinion in this regard.

Thank you

Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,
Department of Botany,