20032011pj1 for id from kaiga

PUTTARAJU K

Mar 20, 2011, 11:37:12 AM3/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

 Dear All,
This tree too changes it's color during  March & April it also makes the kaiga forest look more colorful.We may call it nature's holi ( not like
Kusum [Schleichera oleosa])

ID requested 20032011 pj1

Date/Time-: 13/03/11   -     1 1:40

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-    Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-Tree

Height/Length-8m

--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

DSC_0261.JPG

Rashida Atthar

Mar 21, 2011, 3:53:27 AM3/21/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indian...@googlegroups.com
This could perhaps be the leaves of  Terminalia arjuna .

regards,
Rashida.

Satish Phadke

Mar 21, 2011, 4:11:25 AM3/21/11
to Rashida Atthar, PUTTARAJU K, indian...@googlegroups.com
Though you have written that it is not......I still think this can be 'Kusum tree' Schleichera oleosa. The leaves seen here appear to be compound with 6 leaflets rather than subopposite simple like that in Terminalia arjuna.
If you have more clearer pictures including leaf base ; please send them for confirmation.
Dr Phadke

Neil Soares

Mar 21, 2011, 8:59:42 AM3/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 This is also Kusum [Schleichera oleosa]. Was away for a week birdwatching in the South Garo Hills, Meghalaya - saw the tree there also.
                         Regards,
                           Neil Soares.