Re: 01/08/2011/YRP/01/Naoroz Estate, Chethalayam, Sultan Bathery, Wayanad.

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 18, 2011, 3:14:25 AM8/18/11
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
I visited Yazdi Ji's farm on 16-08-2011 and I could see the plant growing there. AWth the live specimen I collected I could identify the plant as Gomphostemma heyneanum Wall. ex Benth. of Lamiaceae family. This species is endemic to the Southern Western Ghats in the evergreen forests.

Yazdi Ji's farm is a wonderful place which is adjacent to Waynad Wildlife sanctuary with elephants, spotted deer, Malabar giant Squirrel, Hanuman Langur as frequent visitors.
I am attaching 2 close ups of the flowers of the species as well.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Yazdy Palia

Aug 18, 2011, 9:12:36 AM8/18/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
The visit of Giby Ji was really enjoyable. He explained many of the
things that I could not understand earlier.
Regards
Yazdy.

Tanay Bose

Aug 18, 2011, 10:04:49 AM8/18/11
to Yazdy Palia, Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Very nice shot of Gomphostemma heyneanum Giby Ji
Thanks for sharing
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 19, 2011, 8:54:48 AM8/19/11
to manudev madhavan, Tanay Bose, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
This is a different variety. In this specimen, the flowers are lax as seen in the first picture and as Manu identified, it is Gomphostemma heyneanum var. rottleri and the one that were uploaded by Yazdi Ji and myself is Gomphostemma heyneanum var. heyneanum. But as far as I know this variety has been recorded from further south (Idukki and Thrissur) according to Sasidharan, 2004. Further, the habitat of this variety has been recorded as Moist deciduous and semi evergreen.

Regards,
Giby

On 19 August 2011 13:44, manudev madhavan <manudevk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

here are my snaps, taken from Wayanad..
In my folder this plant is named as Gomphostemma heyneanum var. rottleri ???
but I couldnt find any such name in "the plantlist"
Is there any varieties there?

regards
--
Manudev K Madhavan