Flowers from Uttarakhand-ID requested_DS11052011_SN5

Dalia Set

May 11, 2011, 4:07:07 AM5/11/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Small yellow sunflowerlike flowers - plenty on the grass bed around Deoriatal lake in Uttarakhand , Apr 2011.
Looks very common - but can not tag with proper id. Please help.

Thanks
Dalia
ForID8_Kakragad.jpg
ForID9_Kakragad.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 11, 2011, 4:17:14 AM5/11/11
to efloraofindia
Taraxacum officinale
Pankaj
>  ForID8_Kakragad.jpg
> 69KViewDownload
>
>  ForID9_Kakragad.jpg
> 94KViewDownload

amit chauhan

May 11, 2011, 4:30:35 AM5/11/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi,

Taraxacum officinal indeed !

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2011, 8:21:51 AM5/11/11
to amit chauhan, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Taraxacum officinale

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 11, 2011, 10:08:47 AM5/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, amit chauhan, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Taraxacum officinale is a vasty weed here in North America
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

May 11, 2011, 12:34:50 PM5/11/11
to efloraofindia
Garden variety dandelion...

now considered troublesome weed by most homemakers, the seeds were
originally carried by the european lady ancestors of these same
modern day homemakers, to be planted around their homesteading huts,
as a supplemental green ..especially .. a salad green, and they knew
that its roots are a lever detoxification herb par excel-lance.. and
the leaves are now grown in California health conscious farms and sold
across the country in green groceries... as salad or even bitter leaf
vegetable to be boiled , salted eaten with toast and soup.... and
dandelion rootsw are sold in some NYC green herbs stores...
I personally love the taste in a salad of very tendre leaves, when the
edges are still soft and roundish, before the dentation appears, esp
if it comes from a non-poisoned lawn....

Usha di...
======

On May 11, 7:08 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Taraxacum officinale is a vasty weed here in North America
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes Taraxacum officinale
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM, amit chauhan <amitci...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Taraxacum officinal indeed !

> >> --
> >> Dr. Amit Chauhan
> >> Junior Technical Assistant
> >> Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Research Centre,
> >> Pantnagar, PO Dairy Farm Nagla, Pantnagar, Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand
> >> 263149
> >> ph.05944 234445
> >> mob.+919412161087
> >> mail: amitci...@gmail.com
> >> amitci...@rediffmail.com
> >> amit.chau...@cimap.res.in
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2011, 9:46:07 PM5/11/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Usha di
They are sold (leaves) in all major stores in California. The plant is very common in Kashmir, where we used to (in our childhood) harvest Rosettes of Taraxacum (along with Capsella bursa pastoris-shephered's purse; Cichorium intybus-chicory; Nasturtium officinale;  etc) and cook as prize vegetable mix.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

May 12, 2011, 2:18:52 AM5/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Singh: yes,  and good to know...
I have never eaten shepherd's purse as greens, will have to try in salad if I can find it from organic growers...
Thanks
Usha di

=========

dalia

May 12, 2011, 2:32:30 AM5/12/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks everybody. Thanks Ushaji and Gurcahranji for additional info -
it's uasge in salads.
Dalia