Heliotropium for id 291210MK1

Muthu Karthick

Dec 29, 2010, 7:35:39 AM12/29/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Kindly help to id this Heliotropium species.

Plant size: c. 15 cm (spreading)
Date: 30 Aug 2008
Place: scrub forests of Nanmangalam RF, Chennai
Altitude: c 10M ASL

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Heliotropium sp.JPG
Heliotropium sp (1).JPG

Stephen A

Dec 29, 2010, 11:06:13 AM12/29/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Check Heliotropium bracteatum.

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 20, 2011, 7:50:33 AM1/20/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Stephen A
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback

Stephen..............................................Check Heliotropium bracteatum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ritesh Choudhary

Jan 20, 2011, 8:20:28 PM1/20/11
to efloraofindia
The same plant was posted by me for a few days before. Still the
identity is not confirmed. But guessed as H. strigosum by Gargji.

http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/27792539f6e0405a/9d14a0eaec35a099#9d14a0eaec35a099

Waiting for some more opinion.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Vijayasankar

Jan 21, 2011, 12:02:16 AM1/21/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
This is Heliotropium scabrum, i think.
Ritesh ji's plant differs from this one by having narrower leaves and longer racemes, and may qualify to H. strigosum subsp. strigosum as suggested by Garg ji.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Ritesh Choudhary

Jan 21, 2011, 12:12:42 AM1/21/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Vijayji!

I appreciate ur minute observation.

Best regards,
Ritesh.

JM Garg

Jul 23, 2016, 7:55:56 AM7/23/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Vijayasankar Raman
Does not match with images at Heliotropium marifolium J.König ex Retz.
Heliotropium sp.JPG
Heliotropium sp (1).JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 23, 2016, 10:42:28 AM7/23/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Vijayasankar Raman
To me it also appears to be Euploca ovalifolia as per images herein & as per images at Useful tropical plants.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Heliotropium sp.JPG
Heliotropium sp (1).JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 24, 2016, 12:28:17 AM7/24/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam

Jul 24, 2016, 1:09:11 AM7/24/16
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.
I agree with you.

J.M. Garg

Jul 24, 2016, 5:13:10 AM7/24/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Vijayasankar Raman
Can it be as per keys in An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India By K. M. Matthew ?
In From Floral Database of Tamilnadu , it is stated to be found in all districts of Tamilnadu.

to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Vijayasankar Raman
Can it be Heliotropium bracteatum R. Br. as per keys in An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India By K. M. Matthew ?
Heliotropium sp.JPG
Heliotropium sp (1).JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 28, 2016, 5:59:00 AM7/28/16
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Vijayasankar Raman

Forwarding  again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

To me it also appears to be Euploca ovalifolia as per images herein & as per images at Useful tropical plants. - from me

It does not look Euploca ovalifolia as the structure of the spike is not matching, leaves are also very small

Regards
A.Lalithamba

Thanks, Lalithamba ji.
I agree with you. - from me

Can it be as per keys in An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India By K. M. Matthew ?
In From Floral Database of Tamilnadu , it is stated to be found in all districts of Tamilnadu.- from me

Jul 28, 2016, 1:08:52 PM7/28/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam
I think this could be Heliotropium scabrum as well.
H. scabrum is a highly variable species (I have collected at least three intermediate forms).
This name is currently 'unresolved' by TPL but listed here under the accepted name H. marifolium.
--
Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

J.M. Garg

Jul 29, 2016, 2:00:24 AM7/29/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thanks, Vijayasankar ji.