... met Aarti Khale ji at Rani Baug on 9 FEB 11

Dinesh Valke

Feb 13, 2011, 10:16:50 AM2/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Had an opportunity to meet Aarti ji at Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan (Rani Baug)

She had already visited the garden a few times during this stay, she was kind enough to show me some beautiful sights within a short span of about an hour.

For want of time posting some links to my photostream at flickr.

... trees flowering:
Amherstia nobilis ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432787125/
Sterculia villosa ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432853565/
Parmentiera cereifera ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433400756/

... trees fruiting:
Aphanamixis polystachya ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433416580/
Enterolobium cyclocarpum ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433411976/
Amherstia nobilis ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432787569/

... shrub flowering:
Rivina humilis ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432851633/
Calliandra haematocephala 'Alba' ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433370742/

... climber flowering:
Cydista aequinoctialis ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432767205/
Beaumontia grandiflora ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433369218/

... yet to identify
a tree fruiting ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432855525/
a shrub flowering ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432752769/

Regards,
Dinesh
Aarti_Khale_ji.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 13, 2011, 10:20:26 AM2/13/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Your yet to identify shrub is most probably a Dracaena.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Prashant awale

Feb 13, 2011, 10:44:14 AM2/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia

Dear Dinesh,
Last link i think is of Cordyline fruticosa. Pl check this...
regards
Prashant

Dinesh Valke

Feb 13, 2011, 11:09:39 AM2/13/11
to Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Many thanks dear Pankaj and Prashant,
Cordyline fruticosa is very convincing ID.

Regards
Dinesh.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 14, 2011, 1:16:42 AM2/14/11
to efloraofindia
...and the UNID fruiting tree is Trachylobium verrucosum Oliver of
Caesalpiniaceae. Regards,

On Feb 13, 8:16 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
> Had an opportunity to meet Aarti ji at Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan (Rani
> Baug)
>
> She had already visited the garden a few times during this stay, she was
> kind enough to show me some beautiful sights within a short span of about an
> hour.
>
> For want of time posting some links to my photostream at flickr.
>
> ... trees flowering:
> *Amherstia nobilis* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432787125/
> *Sterculia villosa* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432853565/
> *Parmentiera cereifera* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433400756/
>
> ... trees fruiting:
> *Aphanamixis polystachya* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433416580/
> *Enterolobium cyclocarpum* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433411976/
> *Amherstia nobilis* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432787569/
>
> ... shrub flowering:
> *Rivina humilis* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432851633/
> *Calliandra haematocephala* 'Alba' ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433370742/
>
> ... climber flowering:
> *Cydista aequinoctialis* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432767205/
> *Beaumontia grandiflora* ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433369218/
>
> ... yet to identify
> a tree fruiting ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432855525/
> a shrub flowering ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432752769/
>
> Regards,
> Dinesh
>
>  Aarti_Khale_ji.jpg
> 191KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Feb 14, 2011, 1:36:31 AM2/14/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much for the ID, Shrikant ji.
Regards
Dinesh

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 10:16:56 AM2/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji the present name of this fragant shrub is Pleomalia fragrans. You may check on GRIN. These have flowered this year due to the rains which have proved to be conducive for the flowering.

regards,
Rashida.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 14, 2011, 10:37:13 AM2/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Rashida ji, is there some typo in the name you have put ... search yields no results.
Checked at NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?401621 too.

Regards
Dinesh

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 10:42:23 AM2/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Sorry, it should be Pleomele  fragrans.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 11:11:17 AM2/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji I am happy to know that Aarti ji could meet you for the walk. She was feeling very bad about missing Dr. Almeida's walk, since she called me and got to know about it after it was over!

One more intersting information I would like to share with the group is that Dr. Almeida informed us that true Dracaena is found only in Amazon valley, the stem when cut gives out a red fluid, the plant is called Draceana  draco ( dragon's blood) !

regards,
Rashida.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 12:17:00 PM2/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
As per GRIN as well IPNI, I believe this plant is

Dracaena fragrans (L.) Ker Gawl., Bot. Mag. 27: t. 1081 (1808).
[Family: Asparagaceae].

Synonyms:
Aletris fragrans L., Sp. Pl. ed. 2: 456 (1762).
Aloe fragrantissima Jacq., Enum. Stirp. Vindob.: 309 (1762), nom. superfl.
Pleomele fragrans (L.) Salisb., Prodr. Stirp. Chap. Allerton: 245 (1796).
Sansevieria fragrans (L.) Jacq., Fragm. Bot.: 29 (1801).
Cordyline fragrans (L.) Planch., Fl. Serres Jard. Eur. 6: 111 (1850).
Draco fragrans (L.) Kuntze, Revis. Gen. Pl. 2: 710 (1891).
Dracaena ensifolia var. greigii Regel, Gartenflora 20: 139 (1871).
Dracaena smithii Baker ex Hook.f., Bot. Mag. 101: t. 6169 (1875).
Dracaena lindenii Linden ex André, Ill. Hort. 27: 85 (1880).
Dracaena fragrans var. massangeana (Rodigas) E.Morren, Belgique Hort.
31: 327 (1881).
Dracaena massangeana Rodigas, Rev. Hort. Belg. 7: 210 (1881).
Dracaena aureolus W.Bull ex Mast., Gard. Chron., n.s., 19: 404 (1883).
Dracaena fragrans f. wacheana Wacha ex Siebert, Vilm. Blumengärtn. ed.
3, 1: 1065 (1895).
Dracaena latifolia f. rothiana Siebert, Vilm. Blumengärtn. ed. 3, 1:
1064 (1895).
Dracaena steudneri var. kilimandscharica Engl., Pflanzenw.
Ost-Afrikas, C: 143 (1895).
Dracaena broomfieldii Sander ex Mast., Gard. Chron., n.s., 20: 666 (1896).
Dracaena ugandensis Baker in D.Oliver & auct. suc. (eds.), Fl. Trop.
Afr. 7: 445 (1898).
Dracaena victoria W.Bull, Gard. Chron., III, 24: 325 (1898).
Dracaena janssensii Mast., Gard. Chron., III, 25: 287 (1899).
Dracaena albanensis Sander ex Mast., Gard. Chron., III, 27: 206 (1900).
Dracaena deisteliana Engl., Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 32: 96 (1902).
Dracaena deremensis Engl., Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 32: 95 (1902).
Dracaena broomfieldii var. superba Sander ex Mast., Gard. Chron., III,
33: 245 (1903).
Dracaena butayei De Wild., Ann. Mus. Congo Belge, Bot., V, 1: 16 (1903).
Dracaena fragrans var. victoria (W.Bull) O.F.Cook, Garden (London
1871-1927) 1903: 78 (1903).
Dracaena deremensis var. warneckei Engl., Gartenwelt 1907: 505 (1907).
Pleomele deremensis (Engl.) N.E.Br., Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1914: 278 (1914).
Pleomele smithii (Baker ex Hook.f.) N.E.Br., Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew
1914: 279 (1914).
Pleomele ugandensis (Baker) N.E.Br., Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1914: 279 (1914).

Secondly, Dracaena draco, both word, i.e., Dracaena and draco means
DRAGON as partially stated before. This plant is found in wild in
Macaronesia and Morocco both of which are not in Amazon. Yes this
plant does have a blood red sap, as stated earlier, which is used for
medicinal purpose.

True Dracaena is very widespread distributed in the tropics and
subtropics. In India they are represented by only two species, namely,
Dracaena terniflora Roxb. and Dracaena thwaitesii Regel.

Now my issue of providing all these is just to express that everyone
has the right to follow whatever they want. This taxa has so many
synonyms, this doesnt mean others were idiots. This just mean that
this taxa was so complicated and it took so many efforts to try to
place it correctly.

Regards
Pankaj

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Rashida Atthar

Dinesh Valke

Feb 14, 2011, 12:23:53 PM2/14/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Rashida Atthar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
NPGS / GRIN at http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?28861 puts Pleomele fragrans as synonym of Dracaena fragrans.
Shubhada ji has Dracaena fragrans here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shubhada_nikharge/5375954072/

My plant at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5432752769/, looks more like Cordyline fruticosa.
For a closer view of the inflorescence of the same plant : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5433366154/

Few days back, Usha ji's posts and responses discussed confusion between Dracaena fragrans and Cordyline fruticosa.

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 12:29:13 PM2/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Yeah, I realized that after sending the mail that this plant is not
even Dracaena :)).
Sorry for the mistake, but I hope my message is understood.
Pankaj

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 11:38:10 PM2/14/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,  both your plant pictures and Shubhada's plants are of Dracaena fragrans syn Pleomele fragrans only. The purple lines are seen in closed buds , opening they look pinkish and than white. The slight variation in colour is due to pollinator difference.  Dr. Almeida has placed these plants in Liliaceae family. There is a mistake in Kew list, since the leaves of Asparagaceae will have modified leaves not matching the plant under question at all.
regards,
Rashida.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 15, 2011, 1:02:02 AM2/15/11
to Rashida Atthar, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
It is not the colour of flowers to be perceived for comparing my plant and Shubhada's.
The difference lies in the arrangement of flowers.

In case of Dracaena fragrans, the flowers are in clusters, these clusters (please excuse my naive way of expressing far-fetched analogy) are analogous to that in Dendrocalamus strictus.

In case of Cordyline fruticosa, each flower is spaced far apart from another, along the stem (¿ peduncle ?).

Though this difference is seen between my and Shubhada ji's plants, another set of examples showing inflorescence of each species:
Cordyline fruticosa ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgerus/4397791531/
Dracaena fragrans ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/flungingpictures/882095353/

Regards
Dinesh.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 1:04:17 AM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Yes sir,
In scientific terms one flower is an UMBEL and other one is either
SPIKE or RACEME. If they both could be same then taxonomic
classification will have to be rewritten.
Pankaj

Rashida Atthar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:13:37 AM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
You may be correct Dinesh ji. However, it is still not clear to  me as to why it is  in Asparagaceae family  in Kew list !

regards,
Rashida.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 15, 2011, 2:22:56 AM2/15/11
to Rashida Atthar, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Many thanks Rashida ji.
True: some of us are intrigued about it being placed with seemingly unconnected members of Asparagaceae ... me knows nothing about it !
Regards.
Dinesh

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 3:08:31 AM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh sir,

Based on molecular analysis as well as morphological differences, by
the top experts of the world, the order LILIALES was broken down into
three

Liliales
Asparagales
Diosocoreales

Asparagales included many of the families, like Orchidaceae,
Boryaceae, Blandfordiaceae, Lanariaceae, Asteliaceae, Hypoxidaceae,
Ixioliriaceae, Tecophilaeaceae, Doryanthaceae, Iridaceae,
Xeronemataceae, Xanthorrhoeaceae sensu lato, Hemerocallidoideae,
Xanthorrhoeoideae, Asphodeloideae, Amaryllidaceae sensu lato,
Agapanthoideae, Allioideae, Amaryllidoideae and Asparagaceae sensu
lato.

Asparagaceae inturn was divided into sub families which included many
of the earlier families such as

subfamily Agavoideae = family Agavaceae and family Hesperocallidaceae
subfamily Aphyllanthoideae = family Aphyllanthaceae
subfamily Asparagoideae = family Asparagaceae sensu stricto
subfamily Brodiaeoideae = family Themidaceae
subfamily Lomandroideae = family Laxmanniaceae
subfamily Nolinoideae = family Ruscaceae
subfamily Scilloideae = family Hyacinthaceae

Cordyline belonged Laxmanniaceae which is not under Asparagaceae where
as Dracaena belonged to Ruscaceae and earlier Ruscaceae did belong to
Liliaceae but that was loooooong time back and not any more.

Some of the basis differences are provided in Wikipedia which are given below.

ASPARAGALES:

The order is clearly circumscribed on the basis of DNA sequence
analysis, but is difficult to define morphologically, since its
members are structurally diverse. Thus although most species in the
order are herbaceous, some no more than 15 cm high, there are a number
of climbers (e.g. some species of Asparagus), as well as several
genera forming trees (e.g. Agave, Cordyline, Yucca, Dracaena), some of
which can exceed 10 m in height. Succulent genera occur in several
families (e.g. Aloe).

One of the defining characteristics of the order is the presence of
phytomelan, a black pigment present in the seed coat, creating a dark
crust. Phytomelan is found in most families of the Asparagales
(although not in Orchidaceae, thought to be a sister to the rest of
the group).

Almost all species have a tight cluster of leaves (a rosette), either
at the base of the plant or at the end of a more-or-less woody stem;
the leaves are less often produced along the stem. The flowers are in
the main not particularly distinctive, being of a general 'lily type',
with six tepals, either free or fused from the base.

The order is thought to have first diverged from other related
monocots some 120-130 million years ago (early in the Cretaceous
period), although given the difficulty in classifying the families
involved, estimates are likely to be uncertain.

LILIALES:

This order consists mostly of herbaceous plants, but lianas and shrubs
occur. They are mostly perennial plants, with food storage organs such
as corms or rhizomes. The family Corsiaceae is notable for being
heterotrophs.

The order has worldwide distribution. The larger families (with more
than 100 species) are roughly confined to the Northern Hemisphere, or
are distributed worldwide, centering on the north. On the other hand,
the smaller families (with up to 10 species) are confined to the
Southern Hemisphere, or sometimes just to Australia or South America.
The total number of species in the order is now about 1300.

One big question raised by someone was, why Dracaena or Cordyline is
in Asparagaceae and not Liliaceae.
Answer is because NEITHER OF THEM HAVE CORM OR BULB.

Classifications change from time to time. When Linne wrote Species
Plantarum, he had his limitations in describing a taxa, he didnt have
much facility and hence if you see his descriptions, trust me, half of
the plant a common man wont be able to identify. For example, he
described two taxa as

Dioscorea alata: follis cordatis, caule alato bulifero
Dioscorea bulbifera: follis cordatis, caule laevi bulbifero

Linne didnt have a proper microscope. But then things improvised and
more and more technology got involved and people started describing
species in more details and then finally is the age of DNA which some
Indians have just started using. Though world has reached PROTEONOMICS
which India is still unaware of.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 15, 2011, 3:40:44 AM2/15/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
... wow dear Pankaj .. whatever you have put, must be a deep subject ... but I could read it fearlessly !!
Many many thanks for the efforts.
Regards
Dinesh.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 15, 2011, 6:29:12 AM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
It would be good to get more reliable information with regards to this family. I wish someone who has worked with Asparagaceae would enlighten us with regards to the  leaves.  Also  two main characteristics for a plant to be in Liliaceae  is the inferior trilocular ovary and trimerous arrangement of sepals and petals. Perhaps more diverse contribution from experts is needed here.

regards,
Rashida.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 7:40:32 AM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Thank you sir for appreciation. I am trying to gather more
information, which if I could get before tomorrow evening then its
fine or I will share after february.
I assume, we are lacking good taxonomists in India for this. I have
written a mail to one of my acquaintences at University of Vienna.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 1:54:07 PM2/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Sir,

This is very strange and I couldnt stop laughing at the fact that
Inferior trilocular ovary and trimerous arrangement of sepals and
petals (tepal is a better word though) is also found in Orchids, so
then it means, Orchids should be placed in family Liliaceae according
to some???

Secondly, in most of the Liliaceae there are tepals and they are not
differentiated into petals and sepals.

I got this reply from Dr. Mark W. Chase, still waiting for reply from Vienna.

-------------------
Hello Pankaj,
Most Asparagales have phytomelan in their seed coats, except for
orchids (microseeds with thin seed coats, so no room for phytomelan)
and some Asparagaceae (such as Convallaria with a berry, but Asparagus
itself does have phytomelan even though it has a berry). No Liliales
have this. Liliales has nectaries no located in the septae of the
ovary, whereas this is common in Asparagales. There are differences as
well in pollen and ovule development , but these are technical.
Spotted tepals are frequent in Liliales (as in Alstroemeria and
Tricyrtis), but this does not occur in Asparagales, and in the latter
blue flowers are common, whereas in Liliales they are rare.
Best wishes,
Mark
------------------

I will urge members not to force their identity of any plant on others
plz. This creates very foul atmosphere in the group. Incorrect
identity is not a big deal many top taxonomists in the world go wrong
at times and some at many times, but forcing incorrect identity on
others is not correct.

As I said before, just for example, Dracaena fragrans has so many
synonyms and one more interesting thing is, this taxa has been placed
in 7 different genera by different authors, e.g., Dracaena fragrans
(L.) Ker Gawl, Aletris fragrans L., Aloe fragrantissima Jacq.,
Pleomele fragrans (L.) Salisb., Sansevieria fragrans (L.) Jacq.,
Cordyline fragrans (L.) Planch. and Draco fragrans (L.) Kuntze. but
that doesnt mean that Linne, Jacquemont, Salisbury, Planchon, Kuntze
were fools and Ker Gawl was the most intelligent one. Just that people
have their own views which were not being followed by others. If this
would have been the case then Linne would have been most infamous guy
and so would have been Van Rheede and earlier workers.

For me, an EXPERT is the one, who knows his mistakes and corrects it,
rather than keep doing more and more mistakes.

Regards
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:36:47 PM2/15/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, efloraofindia
Its really good to get enlightened by subject authorities.
Thanks Dr.Mark and thanks Dr.Pankaj.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi