name of plant

Madhuri Raut

Jul 22, 2011, 2:37:00 AM7/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Kindly let me know if you know the name of this plant.
Thanks
26.jpg
2_1.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Jul 22, 2011, 3:28:12 AM7/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, indian...@googlegroups.com
In 1st picture  Maranta zebrina green leaves with black straps .
In 2nd picture Aechmea gamosepala  with Cholrophytum (spider lily,white & green leaves )

promila chaturvedi

Jul 22, 2011, 9:37:07 AM7/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, indian...@googlegroups.com
Maduri Ji,
top picture one plant is Maranta leuconeura kerchoveana - Prayer Plant I think, and the other one is Chlorophytum comosum var.may be variegatum, if it is a vigorous plant.
Promila

Satish Phadke

Jul 22, 2011, 10:05:45 AM7/22/11
to Madhuri Raut, indian...@googlegroups.com
Just for compilation of information
Aechmea gamosepala
The plant originates from Brazil and belongs to
Family : Bromeliaceae.
It is called as Matchstick plant as the inflorescence looks like a bunch of coloured match sticks.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 24, 2011, 1:55:28 PM7/24/11
to efloraofindia
Nice.
Just wanted to add, Chlorophytum comosum is actually not Spider Lilly
but Spider Plant. Spider Lilly is a different plant !!
Pankaj

On Jul 22, 7:05 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just for compilation of information
> *Aechmea gamosepala*

Ushadi micromini

Jul 24, 2011, 9:39:51 PM7/24/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, Dinesh Valke
DEAR ALL:

Pankaj ji is RIGHT...
This Chlorophytum comosum is SPIDER PLANT and NOT spider lily...
spider plant because in its fully developed form that has 10 or
fifteen stolons
and masses of plantlets or fowers /seeds at the end of the stolons
it looks like something out of this world or if of this world... a
large green spider with
flowers on its legs..

For the last few years I have been looking for it here in calcutta but
no luck...
they always give me something else that also has variegated (white
streaks) leaves
grass like plant instead or even white musli... never the spider
plant..
to confuse the issue...
the spider plany also has juicy whitish swollen roots,
but they have no estrogenic or aphrodisiac effect like the musli....

Now I am glad to see its available at least in your neck of the
woods...
there is hope for us in Kolkata...

Its called spider plant because in its full glory as a hanging plant
in a large enough hanging pot...it develops into a large rossette by
producing shoots from the main root, then develops stolons ,
which shoot out long and hang by the side, at the end of the stolons
there would be baby plantlets with their own roots, esp as an indoor
houseplant .
.. some stolons in middle of hot summer will develop tiny handsome
white flowers,
which in turn produce tiny green and then brown seeds if appropriate
insects are around...

In summary, it reproduces in at least 4 ways that I know of...
developing clump around mother plant, by rooted plantlets, by seeds
and
by roots runners ( or whatever the botanical name is appropriate)
which sprout ...

5th would be tissue culture... human effort..

DOES ANY OTHER PLANT REPRODUCE IN SUCH PROLIFIC OR PROFICIENT MANNER
Please tell us, and lets make a list ....

Usha di
=========

ushadi Micromini

Jul 25, 2011, 12:30:07 AM7/25/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Madhuri: you are welcome...
but tell me where did you take these pictures..
if its a commercial place like a nurtsery that sells it...
could you please share their name and phone number please?
Thanks
Usha di

=====

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Madhuri Raut <iti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Ushadi,
Thanks for such elaborate information and esp why it is called spider plant.
Madhuri

Madhuri Raut

Jul 25, 2011, 4:12:09 AM7/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, Dinesh Valke
Dear all,
I thought there is a lot of interest in the Spider plant so posting some more pictures from my garden
I am sorry I do not have exclusive pictures only of spider plant
In the first picture the other plant is Parijatak
In the second picture along with Spider plant there is shatavari and the other plant I do not know its name

Madhuri

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
spider plant_1.jpg
spider plant.jpg