Kalatope id al270511a

Alok Mahendroo

May 27, 2011, 1:24:14 PM5/27/11

May 27, 2011, 1:44:35 PM5/27/11
Some sp. of Euphorbia?
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,
Salaiwada,Sawantwadi
Mob.09422379568

Vijayasankar

May 27, 2011, 2:44:08 PM5/27/11
to Smita Raskar, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Yes Smita ji, Euphorbia lathyris, perhaps.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

May 27, 2011, 11:02:14 PM5/27/11
to Vijayasankar, Smita Raskar, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Yes Vijayasankar ji
It is Euphorbia for sure

Perhaps Euphorbia prolifera.
Alok ji, please supply a close up of cyathium showing glands (innermost flower-like structure). This species looks similar to E. wallichii but grows at lower altitudes ascending to around 2000m, whereas W. wallichii grows above 2500 m or so.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

amit chauhan

May 28, 2011, 12:09:52 AM5/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, Smita Raskar, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
hi,

may be Euphorbia pilosa

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2011, 1:09:42 AM5/28/11
to amit chauhan, Vijayasankar, Smita Raskar, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Amit Yes E. pilosa may also be possibility. In fact all  E. prolifera, E. pilosa, E. cornigera, E. cognata and even E. wallichii (omitted on the basis of its occurring at higher altitudes) look similar, and fruits and glands help in final distinction, that is why I have requested Alok ji to get close up of cyathium for final identification.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

May 28, 2011, 2:35:20 AM5/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, amit chauhan, Vijayasankar, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
I had taken a photo of the cyathium the other day, sir... but when one
does not know the importance of a certain feature, it does not have any
value.... I hope this helps or I'll see the next time I go to those
parts of the sanctuary (if they are still flowering then..)
regards
Alok

P.S And thank you Gurcharan ji, Amit ji, Vijayasankar ji and Smita ji
for the instant responses
Alok

DSCN0628.jpg
DSCN0631a.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2011, 5:59:33 AM5/28/11
to Alok Mahendroo, amit chauhan, Vijayasankar, Smita Raskar, efloraofindia
Thank you Alok ji

The plant has glands which are rounded on the outside, thus fits with Euphorbia pilosa of Flora Simlensis and FBI. Latter recognises three  varieties under pilosa: var. pilosa (under  which no specimen is cited from  India); var. cognata and var cornigera. These are now considered as three distinct species E. pilosa, E. cognata and E. cornigera. E. pilosa according to eFlora of Pakistan does not grow in our area being distributed in Mongolia and Siberia, where as both E. cognata and E. cornigera occur in Himalayas.
     Though fruit would have fixed the species conclusively but looking at slightly serrulate leaves, the plant appears to be Euphorbia cornigera Boiss. (syn: E. pilosa var. cornigera (Boiss.) Hook.f.)