CELEBRATION TIME

1 view

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 14, 2011, 10:41:10 AM4/14/11

Apr 14, 2011, 10:31:53 PM4/14/11
Thak you sir
Wish you all happy Yugadi too
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

J.M. Garg

Apr 15, 2011, 12:54:26 AM4/15/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
That's great, Bimal ji.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

raghu ananth

Apr 15, 2011, 3:04:21 AM4/15/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the wishes and more so for the exquisite art displayed.

Regards,
Raghu

Apr 16, 2011, 9:41:10 AM4/16/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia, Dr Pejaver Madhuri
Dear Bimal ji and Nabha ji
This mail is for story teller group pl
In South India people follow the sun calender, as we know the sun goes to south and north on either side of the equater. In correct scientific way earth rotates in such a way that we see sun going to south from equater, then comes back to equater, goes to north, comes back and cycle continues. If you know these are called as utterayan and dakhinayan. Each side to go and come back on equater it takes 6 months.We celebrate Makarsankrant when sun starts its Dakshinayan. We say new sankraman started. So from 14th January it reaches to extreme south till 14th April and starts its backward journy. This day is celebrated as new year in south known as Yugadi \ Pongal.
On this day in south kannada we keep a miror infront of god. Infront of the mirror we keep all colourful vegetables, like brinjol, kakadi, capcicum, tomato, bhendi, chillies, and many more. We also keep lot of fruits. Decorate the mirror with gold chain and flower garland.
All decoration is kept ready by the lady of the house on 13th night when everybody goes to sleep. In the morning when everyone weak up they see this wealth in the light of the lamp lighted in front of god and see there own face in the mirror and take blessings.
It might be one way of offering the natural wealth to god, multipling it in mirror, and witnessing it self.
The lady of the house then makes some fabulous food along with grand payas.
Happy Yugadi again.
Nabhaji you are correct it is Chaitra and on 4th we celebrated chitra padava which is again a new year for Maharashtrians
About Vaishakhi Gurucharanji please.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Apr 16, 2011, 11:31:54 PM4/16/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
Madhuri ji
Slight correction
This mail is 'from' story teller group. We want our number to increase to make interactions more enjoyable. Good to know than Usha Di has already become the number of the group through her interesting mails. Others are welcome!!

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Usha Desai

Apr 18, 2011, 1:40:04 AM4/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, formp...@yahoo.com, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
Gurucharanji
what is 'story teller group'?...I would love to join it.
Bimalji,Na bha ji, Madhuriji
I just loved all the conversations...felt as if you all were present & directly talking to me.
ThanK YOU ALL
 Usha  [TAW]

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2011, 1:44:51 AM4/18/11
to Usha Desai, formp...@yahoo.com, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
Usha Desai ji
No special qualifications. Just an additional information, spice, related tales to make the conversation interesting and you are automatically in.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Madhuri Pejaver

Apr 18, 2011, 11:42:20 AM4/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Usha Desai, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
Dear Madam,
that is the exact role of this story teller group.
You see all of us have so many memories attached to some flowers, fruits, plants, nature. when we see those plants we remember them. They might be some incidences, some readings, some talks, something heard from grandma, grandpa, or sometimes some receipies too.
just tell that to the group and pass on your knowledge. This need not be a strict taxanomical knowlege.
Because just knowing the plant by name may not make you love it. But if some story attached to the plant you know may make you love it or even to remeber it.
Just see one cashew fruit send on the group, had a good discussion but over and above Neilji has sent the bottles of pheni also on the group
it is like that-------
Awaiting for your stories.
love this group in addition to all reasons given by Sirji, because of these beautiful stories too
thanks for joining our group
Madhuri

Usha Desai

Apr 19, 2011, 6:19:19 AM4/19/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
thank you Madhuriji and Gurucharanji...I will add my stories too.Usha Desai

Na Bha

Apr 20, 2011, 7:08:33 AM4/20/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Gurcharan Singh, Usha Desai, Col Bimal Sarkar, Efloraindia
Madhuri ji,

I think there is some misunderstanding about the dates. 21 Dec. is the shortest day, when the sun reaches the southmost position and starts moving towards north (Galileo Galilei may forgive me when I say the sun starts moving towards north.) On 21. March and 21. Sept. day and night are 12 hrs. long everywhere on the earth and 21. June is the longest day in the northern hemisphere.
Gudhi Padava is the first day (tithi to be precise ) in the first month chaitra according Shalivahan calender.
When it comes to celebrating, we take every opportunity for that so it is perfectly ok. I was just wondering howcome  BAISHAKHI is celebrated in the middle of Chaitra.
When I find time, I shall search for this information. The last few days I was too busy to read mails or to google.

Best wishes for whatever you are celebrating. We shall be celebrating easter in the coming days, but we are celebrating the sunny and warm days presently. The other side of sunny and warm days is no rain, and the farmers are not happy about it, crop needs water. Also the foresters are not very glad. There is a great danger of fire if one smokes while walking thru the woodland and throws the cigarette-rest around.
Let us hope things will not get bad.
Enjoy the sun
Nalini

formp...@yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2011, 3:26:33 PM4/20/11
to Na Bha, Efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, Usha Desai, Col Bimal Sarkar
Correct Nabhaji. I am not a physicist. But---
With the dates you have given Sun(pardon me all scientists) takes 6monts to travel from south to North and 6 months for reverse journey. 21st Dec southmost and 21st June Northmost.
So it takes 3months to reach equator. Hence 21st March from South to equator and 21st sept from North to equator.
Thus in April hasn't it crossed the equator to go to North? Now why 14th April I will have to ask some knowlegeble person. You see our Chitra also comes near to April or end of March____ sun crossing equator towards North.
I donot know whether Punjabi's also follow the same names of months as we Maharashtrians. If so then only Vaishakhi can be corelated to Vaishakh as is in your mind. If not Vaishakhi has some other meaning.
But imp part is all are new years!!!!
My son counted how many times we celebrate new years its funny
1st January, Padava, Ugadi, Padava of Diwali, Laxmi Puja for buissiness community -----
Cheers!

From: "Na Bha" <nabha-...@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:08:33 +0200