Commelinales & Zingiberales Week: Bird-of-paradise

mani nair

Feb 7, 2011, 11:41:24 PM2/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of Bird-of-paradise flower.

Common name : Bird-of-paradise
Botanical name :Strelitzia reginae
Place               : Vashi, Navi Mumbai
Date                 : 5.2.2011

Regards,

Mani.
bird1.JPG
bird2.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 7, 2011, 11:57:42 PM2/7/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are  mine from Delhi and California where it is  very commonly grown

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Na Bha

Feb 8, 2011, 6:08:33 AM2/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
The Bird of Paradise is the national flower of Madeira.
It grows everywhere in Madeira. I saw them even along the treck-paths and along the levandas, the human made water canals.  But when I visited Madeira, I made slides. no digital fotos.

Regards
Nalini

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 8, 2011, 6:56:14 AM2/8/11
to Na Bha, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
After seeing more photographs I am inclined to think that although my Californian plant is clearly Strelitzia reginae (the boat shaped structure formed by two lateral petals is clear), my two photographs from Delhi, probably don't belong here. They may be some species of Heliconia.
   I will be uploading them separately