Eulophia dabia (D.Don) Hochr.: On the discovery of the dubious Eulophia

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 21, 2011, 2:04:45 AM4/21/11
to indiantreepix
Eulophia dabia (D.Don) Hochr., Bull. New York Bot. Gard. 6: 270 (1910).

Synonyms:
Bletia dabia D.Don, Prodr. Fl. Nepal.: 30 (1825).
Limodorum dabia (D.Don) Buch.-Ham. ex D.Don, Prodr. Fl. Nepal.: 30 (1825).
Graphorkis dabia (D.Don) Kuntze, Revis. Gen. Pl. 2: 662 (1891).
Limodorum ramentaceum Roxb., Fl. Ind. ed. 1832, 3: 467 (1832).
Eulophia campestris Wall. ex Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 185 (1833).
Eulophia ramentacea (Roxb.) Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 185 (1833).
Eulophia rupestris Wall. ex Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 185 (1833).
Geodorum ramentaceum (Roxb.) Voigt, Hort. Suburb. Calcutt.: 628 (1845).
Eulophia hemileuca Lindl., J. Proc. Linn. Soc., Bot. 3: 25 (1859).
Graphorkis campestris (Wall. ex Lindl.) Kuntze, Revis. Gen. Pl. 2: 662 (1891).
Graphorkis rupestris (Wall. ex Lindl.) Kuntze, Revis. Gen. Pl. 2: 882 (1891).
Eulophia faberi Rolfe, Bull. Misc. Inform. Kew 1896: 198 (1896).
Limodorum turkestanicum Litv., Trudy Bot. Muz. Imp. Akad. Nauk 1: 18 (1902).
Eulophia hormusjii Duthie, Ann. Roy. Bot. Gard. (Calcutta) 9(2): 125 (1906).
Eulophia turkestanica (Litv.) Schltr., Repert. Spec. Nov. Regni Veg.
12: 374 (1913).

Family: Orchidaceae
Location: Rajaji National Park, Uttarakhand
Date: 12.03.2011 - 19.03.2011 (on multiple trips)

This is supposed to be highly medicinal plant and it is assumed to be
the original Salem Misri, but now a days becoming too rare. I was
authorized to collect the plant by forest department for research
purpose also because I work with MoEF on Orchids, and hence I was able
to get down the vehicle with my team inside the National Park, which
is otherwise illegal, so please dont try this in any park it is highly
restricted. Rajaji is famous for Elephants along with Tiger and
Leopard which may attack. On one trip, I even accompanied the PCCF
(Uttarakhand), Director (Rajaji NP) and my boss Dr. Rawat just to show
them this beautiful orchid.

Finding this orchid was surely an achievement.

Thanks to following persons for making these trips adventurous and fruitful:
PCCF (Wildlife, Uttarakhand)
Director, Rajaji National Park
Prof. Dr. G.S.Rawat, my boss
Anil (Tiger monitoring team)
Sanskruti (Tiger monitoring team)
Jenifer Miller (PhD scholar from Yale University)
Dr. Amit Kotia
Umesh Tewari
Dr. Tana Mewada
Lots of forest staff and tiger team staff.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide14.JPG
Slide17.JPG
Slide10.JPG
Slide13.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Slide9.JPG

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 21, 2011, 2:12:49 AM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
In the third last pic, Dr. Amit Kotia is in green shirt, Mr. Umesh
Tiwari in blue. They are a part of this group and a very good
taxonomists. On my right hand side is Mr. Anil, who is a researcher
with the Tiger Monitoring project.

In second last pic, person taking pic in brown hat is Director of
Rajajji National Park, person with plant in hand is Professor G S
Rawat (my boss and PhD supervisor) and third person in greenish grey
+white windcheater is Dr. S. Chandola (Chief Wildlife Warden of
Uttarakhand) and fourth member is a staff of Forest department.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 21, 2011, 2:48:49 AM4/21/11
to indiantreepix
Protologue of the same attached.
Pankaj
PROTOLOGUE EULOPHIA DABIA.jpg
BLETIA DABIA 30.jpg

Prashant awale

Apr 21, 2011, 5:23:34 AM4/21/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Great. ..
Thanks Pankaj ji for sharing the photographs of this rare orchid and the info.
Regards
Prashant

Balkar Arya

Apr 22, 2011, 10:16:03 PM4/22/11
to indiantreepix, Pankaj Kumar
Dear Pankaj Ji
Salam Panja, salam Misri and 8 astavarga medicines of ayurveda are extremly usefull in many ayurvedic preparations. Many of them are from Orchidaceae family.  Any programme to conserve and propagate them going on or not ?

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 23, 2011, 1:28:07 AM4/23/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar sir,
During my last lecture during my Sikkim trip, one of my suggestion was
to conserve these high value medicinal plants (around 15 from western
HImalaya( in the wild, by conserving their environment and at the same
time checking their collection from wild by these high profile
chawanparash makers and even my suggestions were one of those which
were later sent to the ministry or agriculture as well as environment
and Forests.
One more suggestion was to propagate them through tissue culture and
cultivate these plants on large scale so as to supply to these
industries for their use. Because we know that most of these
industries are not acquiring these plants legally.
BTW, Salam Panja is a different orchid called Dactylorhiza hatageria.
This is salam misri.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 23, 2011, 1:29:20 AM4/23/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
thanks a lot Prashant sir, Muthu sir and Dnesh sir for appreciation.
Pankaj

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:

Balkar Arya

Apr 23, 2011, 3:44:30 AM4/23/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Pankaj  Ji for sharing nice pics and information

manudev madhavan

Apr 25, 2011, 7:52:56 AM4/25/11
to Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Nice set of informations.
thanks for sharing
--
Manudev K Madhavan