iucn status of Nothopegia castenifolia

prasanna gogate

Mar 29, 2011, 12:33:11 PM3/29/11
to efloraofindia
dear all,
  please send me iucn status of  Nothopegia castenifolia. thank you

   prasanna gogate

J.M. Garg

Jul 8, 2011, 7:53:00 AM7/8/11
to efloraofindia, prasanna gogate, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com
Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

I think the correct spelling is Nothopegia castaneifolia as per link
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2379752
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1630 members & 73,000 messages on 30/6/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Vijayasankar

Jul 8, 2011, 10:37:35 AM7/8/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, prasanna gogate, santhos...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, navend...@gmail.com, mpar...@gmail.com, kotta...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, rites...@gmail.com
The IUCN status assigned (by World Conservation Monitoring Center) to Nothopegia castanaefolia (endemic to MH) is Critically Endangered, based on the qualifying IUCN Criteria B1+2c.
The Criteria B is applied here because this is a narrow endemic species, and qualifying to the threshold level of "Extent of occurrence estimated to be less than 100 km2 or area of occupancy estimated to be less than 10 km2". As per the rule it has to qualify at least two of the three sub-categories under B, and this species qualifies to the sub-categories B1 and B2c.
The subcategory B1 denotes that the species is "Severely fragmented or known to exist at only a single location"
and B2c refers to the situation... "Continuing decline, observed, inferred or projected...in the area, extent and/or quality of habitat".

Ref.: http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/38746/0

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi