TREE ID.........10/12/2011......... .....S.S...........058... Near LAVA. WEST BENGAL

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 6:43:57 AM12/11/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for the good words Sheila Ji,

The plant can be seen growing commonly in the forest areas of Arunachal Pradesh. I've spotted this at Upper Siang, East Siang, East Kemeng, Papumpare, Lower Subansiri and Lohit districts of Arunachal Pradesh. One is also growing at the experimental garden of Botanical Survey of India, Itanagar.

Memba community of Arunachal Pradesh call this plant as 'Rumbektank'.

Regards,
Ritesh.

--
Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Ph.D.
International Biological Material Research Center

+82-42-879-8342 (O)
http://www.kribb.re.kr

"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein
DSC_0507 copy1.jpg
DSC_0509Rumbektank(M) copy2.jpg
DSC_0510 copy3.jpg

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 6:48:18 AM12/11/11
to efloraindia
Ohh...dnt know how the thread broke...

Sorry for the inconvenience!

My reply is in response to Sheila ji's earlier thread with the same
subject line.

Anyway....the plant is Ostodes paniculata Blume.
Family: Euphorbiaceae.

Locality: Tuting, Upper Siang district (ca 700m)

Date: October, 2005.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Plantaholic Sheila

Dec 11, 2011, 7:21:57 AM12/11/11
to efloraindia
Hi Ritesh,
How very kind of you to add a few more images to show the fruits.
That is much appreciated.

Interesting to learn that it is much more common than it seemed from
my search on www.

How very odd that the thread has become broken as it still carries all
the heading correctly.
Thank you.
Sheila

On Dec 11, 11:48 am, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary <ritesh....@gmail.com>

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 8:29:33 AM12/11/11
to efloraindia
Thanks again Sheila Ji!

Regards,
Ritesh.

Ushadi micromini

Dec 11, 2011, 11:16:32 AM12/11/11
to Plantaholic Sheila, efloraofindia, Ritesh Choudhary
Sheila and Ritesh I think I have discovered why your thread was
broken...

Look at the the two titles....

Original thread:
TREE ID.........10/12/2011..............S.S...........058... Near
LAVA. WEST BENGAL
This thread :
TREE ID.........10/12/2011......... .....S.S...........058... Near
LAVA. WEST BENGAL

See the difference????

After the date there are 9 dots and the line is broken... gap appears
and then dots again...

that's why the google group program treated this as a different
thread...
also the original font was times new roman and this thread title font
is calibri.
Dont know if that also makes a difference or not.. ????

@SHEILA>>> may I suggest that you not put any dots in the title, just
ordinary conventional numbers of space/gaps as per normal typing
norms, that should be it. It would be also good when the title /and
its links are used for further future reference : less space is used
etc etc..

Usha di
==========

On Dec 11, 5:21 pm, Plantaholic Sheila <luddite1...@talktalk.net>

Neil Soares

Dec 11, 2011, 11:51:51 AM12/11/11
to Plantaholic Sheila, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Ritesh Choudhary
Hi,
 This could possibly be a species of Dysoxylon. My photograph of one taken in the Garo Hills, Meghalaya.
                     With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

--- On Sun, 12/11/11, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dysoxylon sp..jpg

Plantaholic Sheila

Dec 11, 2011, 2:27:55 PM12/11/11
to efloraindia
Sorry everyone.
This is my original question with an answer from Ritesh giving me an
id of Ostodes paniculata. Common name 'Rumbektank'.
See below to original thread link.

https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/98e6c4b262de7a4b?hl=en

Somehow, maybe because of the "........... "I used, the answer
appeared as a new thread. (Same title.Same number)

Neil, thank you for your suggestion. Am I to understand that you
think my plant is Dysoxylon rather than Ostodes paniculata?
On www the leaves of Dysoxylon appear to be pinnate, which my leaves
are not.
I am now confused.
Sheila.

On Dec 11, 4:51 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  This could possibly be a species of Dysoxylon. My photograph of one taken in the Garo Hills, Meghalaya.
>                      With regards,
>                       Neil Soares.
>

> --- On Sun, 12/11/11, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dysoxylon sp..jpg
> 110KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 7:11:55 PM12/11/11
to Ushadi micromini, Plantaholic Sheila, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi ma'm for digging this out!

Regards,
Ritesh.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 7:18:21 PM12/11/11
to Neil Soares, Plantaholic Sheila, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Dear Neil Ji,

Yes, your plant looks like Dysoxylum sp. to me . But pl observe the infructescence pattern differences between my plant (Ostodes) and yours. Dysoxylum fruits are also bigger in size (like cricket ball) whereas Ostodes fruits are smaller than a lemon. I apologize for not putting any scale bar in my fotos that may create confusion.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Dec 11, 2011, 8:08:50 PM12/11/11
to efloraindia
Just to edit a little.....Dysoxylum fruits are not as big as Cricket
ball but ofcourse bigger than Ostodes fruits.

Sheila Ji, pl dnt get confused.....your plant is Ostodes paniculata
for sure.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Plantaholic Sheila

Dec 12, 2011, 4:10:02 AM12/12/11
to efloraindia
Riteshi Ji thank you for clearing up my confusion.
Kind of you to follow this thread.

I also forgot to thank Ushadi for advice on ".............." and how
to add titles in the future.
Sheila.