[efloraofindia:34829] Euphorbiaceae for id 150510MK3

Muthu Karthick

May 15, 2010, 7:01:25 AM5/15/10
to indiantreepix
Dear members,
Please help to identify this plant.

Date/Time-

30-04-2010 / 11:00 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Mudumalai; 890 msl; TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

moist deciduous forest

Plant Habit-

Shrub or small tree

Height/Length-

might be up to 4 metre

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Alternate 8 x 4cm; sub-coriaceous(sub-leathery); oblong; acute tip; petiole bulged at both the ends

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

axillary cyme, stipules present

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

calyx 2 -3mm

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

ca.1 cm across; seeds 6

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

E 093.jpg
E 091.jpg
E 092.jpg

Muthu Karthick

May 20, 2010, 5:16:10 AM5/20/10
to indiantreepix

Could this be any species of Glochidion ?
E 093.jpg
E 091.jpg
E 092.jpg

Muthu Karthick

May 22, 2010, 3:15:27 AM5/22/10
to indiantreepix
E 093.jpg
E 091.jpg
E 092.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 3, 2010, 1:00:31 AM6/3/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, Mahadeswara Swamy, navendu page

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Could this be any species of Glochidion ?” from Muthu ji.

Jun 3, 2010, 5:32:36 AM6/3/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,

Glochidion most probably Glochidion zeylanicum. Check it with any
flora preferably Gamble with flower.

Regards
Giby

On May 22, 12:15 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

Muthu Karthick

Jun 4, 2010, 11:19:01 AM6/4/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
A kind reply from Dr. C.Kunhikannan: It is Glochidion sp. It is very confusing genus for species identity. You have to collect both male and female flowers of same plant and study. if it is near the streams or river then it can be G.zeylanicum

Giby Kuriakose

Jun 4, 2010, 11:53:31 AM6/4/10
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Thank you Muthu and Kunhikannan sir. I admit what Dr Kunhikannan sir said. It was not clear from your posting that whether you collected it from stream side. But sometime you may come across this little away from stream side. I made a guess and said most probably..... with the leaf characters; mainly the round base. You have to always check the relevant floras to the area by running the key when you get such kind of identification from photographs.

Thanks and Regards
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE
Royal Enclave,

Muthu Karthick

Mar 9, 2011, 3:24:09 AM3/9/11
to indiantreepix

Forwarded conversation

Subject: Euphorbiaceae for id 150510MK3
------------------------

From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>

From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>

----------
From: C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM
To: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>

It is Glochidion sp. It is very confusing genus for species identity. You have to collect both male and female flowers of same plant and study. if it is near the streams or river then it can be G.zeylanicum
kunhikannan

Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,
Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding,
Forest Campus,  R.S.Puram,
Coimbatore-641002, Tamilnadu.

----------
From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, May 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM
To: C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com>

Many thanks for the information sir.

----------

From: Smilax004 <giby.ku...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

----------
From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:49 PM
To: Smilax004 <giby.ku...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

E 093.jpg
E 091.jpg
E 092.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 9, 2011, 3:47:54 AM3/9/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Muth ji , I think these leaves and fruits belong to Aporosa cardiosperma (Gaertn.) Merr. Petioles bulgeing  at both ends as you have mentioned,  fruits globose pointed with the style, leaves glabrous acuminate all indicative of Aporosa species. You may check the details with the pictures of Aporosa I have uploaded a while back,  and also compare with G. zeylanicum  I have uploaded yesterday.

regards,
Rashida.

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2011, 1:03:21 AM6/20/11
to efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Smilax004, C KUNHIKANNAN
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“Could this be any species of Glochidion ?” from Muthu ji.

"Glochidion most probably Glochidion zeylanicum. Check it with any
flora preferably Gamble with flower.
Regards
Giby"

"It is Glochidion sp. It is very confusing genus for species identity. You have to collect both male and female flowers of same plant and study. if it is near the streams or river then it can be G.zeylanicum" from Kunhikannan ji.

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

E 093.jpg
E 091.jpg
E 092.jpg

H S

Jun 21, 2011, 2:59:19 AM6/21/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, Smilax004, C KUNHIKANNAN
May be Glochidion zeylanicum

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2013, 5:18:50 AM11/12/13
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, Pravin Kawale, Giby Kuriakose, H S
[...]

"May be Glochidion zeylanicum" from HS ji.

Nov 12, 2013, 5:29:40 AM11/12/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, Pravin Kawale, Giby Kuriakose, H S
The glabrous leaves, slightly supra-axillary inflorescences and scarcely lobed capsules are sufficient to identify it as Glochidion zeylanicum (Gaertn.) A.Juss. var. zeylanicum.
T. Chakrabarty.