Bauhinia malabarica ♂

Dinesh Valke

Oct 28, 2009, 3:24:58 PM10/28/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Bauhinia malabarica, (syn. Piliostigma malabaricum) a deciduous tree, and dioecious.
Not found commonly in Maharashtra ... I am attaching a few photos of the male plant.

Findings as follows:
10 OCT 09 -- Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
28 SEP 09 -- Saphale Ghat
30 SEP 07 -- Nagla block of Sanjay Gandhi National Park

commonly known as: Malabar bauhinia • Assamese: kotra • Bengali: karmai • Garo: bakbakhol, beolphiu, migong thak • Hindi: अम्ली amli • Kannada: ಬಸವನಪಾದ basavanapaada • Konkani: कोरट korat • Malayalam: ആരമ്പുളി aarampuli • Marathi: अम्ली amli, कोरळ koral • Nepalese: टाँकी tanki • Oriya: gumbati • Sanskrit: अम्लपत्रः amlapatrah, अश्मन्तक ashmantaka, अश्मयुक्त ashmayukta, यमलपत्रः yamalapatrah • Tamil: மலையாத்தி malai-y-atti, புளியாத்தி puli-y-atti • Telugu: పులి చింత puli chinta

Earlier misidentified it to be Bauhinia thonningii ... it appears in my response to Rashida ji's post "Bauhinia foveolata -- Chamoli" at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b4230a4a8f471151?hl=en
Many thanks to Ingalhalikar ji for correcting me.

Regards.

1462965634_4a1865e74d_b.jpg
4000476532_9138c6d930_b.jpg
1462814546_15b447e6ed_b.jpg
3974184327_e2ab82f852_b.jpg
3974191167_b5cf7a8d5a_b.jpg
3999703699_2fa9914e21_b.jpg

Vijayadas D

Oct 28, 2009, 11:33:09 PM10/28/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear all,

It is the first time  I am hearing about male plant of Bauhinia

Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Neil Soares

Oct 29, 2009, 12:24:34 AM10/29/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Dinesh Valke
Hi Dinesh,
 Great photographs!!!  Just for your information - an easy way to differentiate Bauhinia malabarica from the other Bauhinias is to taste the leaves. They taste a bit like Imli [Tamarind].
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 29, 2009, 12:49:04 AM10/29/09
to Vijayadas D, Indian Tree Pix
Vijayadas ji, the other already posted of Bauhinia foveolata at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b4230a4a8f471151?hl=en
(by Rashida ji): female plant
(by me and Neil ji): male plant.
Regards.

rashida atthar

Oct 29, 2009, 8:46:24 AM10/29/09
to vijay...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Dinesh ji for posting this new species for us. Are the flowers fragrant?

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:33:09 +0300
Subject: [indiantreepix:21775] Re: Bauhinia malabarica ♂
From: vijay...@gmail.com
To: dinesh...@gmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

Dinesh Valke

Oct 29, 2009, 9:04:04 AM10/29/09
to rashida atthar, vijay...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
.. always get embarrassed at that fragrant question :)
I always forget to smell. Next time I will.
... have promised that earlier times :-)

Regards.